Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Dude, Where's my taste?


I think the movie most people would be surprised to find out I love is Dude, Where's my Car?, and I cannot out right defend this love. I would never try and back up my love for this juvenile film with any sort of critical analysis except to say that there is a certain amount of respect I have for a movie willing to throw everything possible at the viewer. I should not at all like a movie that was birthed out of a rejected live action Beavis and Butthead script. I hated Beavis and Butthead as a cartoon and would probably hate it in live action. There is no real appealing part of Ashton Kutcher's on screen persona and the movie has two idiots as leads, which is tough to do. I prefer my slackers to be of the Harold and Kumar type, where they are smart, just unmotivated. Yet, through all of that I find myself cracking up every time I watch it.

To test that theory I recently rewatched the movie to see how it plays to me having not seen it for a few years. I am more than slightly embarrassed that it still gets me. The movie is about two guys who wake up with no memory of what they did the night before and now they are searching for their car to find the gifts they got their girlfriends for their anniversaries. As they walk the streets trying to find the car, they are confronted by a myriad of people who some what help them piece together their missing night. They are being sought after by a band of nerds, hot alien chicks, gay alien dudes, a transsexual stripper, their girlfriends, their boss and a bunch of jerks.

As far as the comedy goes it is very low brow, but not a lot of bathroom humor, or any really. There are a few sex jokes, but it is only a PG-13 movie, so it stays pretty clean, which is a bit surprising these days. Ashton Kutcher and Sean William Scott make a pretty good team, although I feel like Sean William Scott is slumming it too much here, but he looks like he is having fun doing it, which is a plus. The movie is littered with hot girls like Kristy Swanson and Jennifer Garner and at every turn is another ridiculous scenario that only works because the movie is getting more and more ridiculous and does not operate in a sense of reality. I would never ever recommend the film to anyone, but it makes me laugh.

I know I should never come down on anyone for liking stupid movies if I have this movie in my collection and love it the way I do. However, if your stupid movie features guys getting beat up by ostriches then I will allow you to like it. Stupid comedies are an interesting thing because different things appeal to different people and there are times when people just want to laugh at stupid things, I guess. I am not usually of this mind state but we all have our weaknesses. Perhaps I am need to lay off of the condemning people for liking stupid movies. I do not think it is really that people like stupid movies it is the desire they have to make me watch their stupid comedies. Do not push your weak ass drugs on me, man! Never once have I told someone they should watch Dude, Where's my Car so stop bullying me into watching Grandma's Boy and Borat! yes, I put Borat in the same category as Dude, Where's my Car. The only difference is, Borat, and it's fans, thought they were watching some kind of social experiment, when they were just watching a piece of crap movie. At least when I watch Dude, Where's my Car I know I am watching a piece of crap movie.

I want to leave you with some quotes from the movie that appeal to me:

Chester: How wasted were we last night?
Jesse: Well, I touched Christy Boner's hoo-hoo, we're on the hook for two hundred thousand dollars to a transsexual stripper, and my car's gone. I'd say we were pretty wasted.

[about the hot chicks]
Chester: Those double-crossing, sexy-sexy sluts!
[starts crying]

Wait a second, let's recap. Last night, we lost my car, we accepted stolen money from a transsexual stripper, and now some space nerds want us to find something we can't pronounce. I hate to say it, Chester, but maybe we need to cut back on the shibbying.

So is this. It's a break-dancing stripper emergency!

Jesse: Is it possible that we got so wasted last night that we bought a lifetime supply of pudding and then totally forgot about it?
Chester: [opens cupboard] I'd say it's entirely possible.

And my favorite:

Jesse: I'm sensing something very Canadian about this place.

No comments: