Sunday, March 22, 2009

T.V. recap (Mar.15-21)

As I said during the first one of these, I will tweak it to find something that works for me, so I am going to try sort of what they do at tvguide.com and do a sort of top 10 moments things, but in no real order.

Also, there are possible spoilers for the shows mentioned which are: Big Bang Theory, How I met your Mother, Terminator, Friday Night Lights, The Office, Supernatural, Dollhouse, 24, Lost and Grey's Anatomy.

1. The comedy duo of The Big Bang Theory(BBT) and How I Met your Mother(HIMYM)- Every week these two shows offer hilarity but in such different ways and this week was no different. BBT brought hilarious nerd humor and Sheldon in the Flash costume was priceless. Then, HIMYM brought the funny with its usual brand of "friend humor." These are people we think we can be friends with and this week the best stuff lived with Marshall's old man night gown. AWESOME!

2. Most Welcome finish- It seems Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles has finally finished telling the story of Riley and Jesse. It is about time! I was quickly losing interest in this show, but the final 15 minutes were great this week and I am so glad to see Riley gone and Jesse banished. Hopefully they can get back on track. I never in a million years thought I would say this, but I want more Brian Austen Green!

3. Best Television parents- Eric and Tammi Taylor on Friday night Lights. I love my parents but if something happened to them, I would want the Taylors to adopt me. the way they handled finding out about their 17 yr old daughter having sex was mature and touching. Kyle Chandler's Eric Taylor is amazing to watch every week and to watch his interaction with Matt Saracen was awesome. These parents have the most obnoxious daughter ever, and they find away to be patient, loving and smart. I really hope NBC works out a way to give me a 4th season.

4. Best disruption of the status quo- Idris Elba showing up on The Office. He probably hates Jim, hates the parties and wants to make the whole outfit professional. He is going to spark a fight between Kelly and Angela and he caused Michael to quit! The Office is always at its best when it is doing something unusual and not like a traditional sitcom and Idris Elba really helped do that and just how good was Steve Carrell at the end of the episode?

5. Best trend of the week- Hand to hand combat!: Jack Bauer goes fist to fist with a bad guy and does ninja like jumps and rolls; Two angels beat the crap out of each other over on Supernatural and Dollhouse uses kitchen utensils to help its kick ass fight. Fists were being thrown with fury this week and I loved every second of it, especially Jack Bauer and his evil counterpart. They were going to town on each other and it is rare to see Jack get beat up, even if it was briefly.

6. Best confrontation- Sawyer and Jack on Lost. This week was not doing anything for me because the time travel is starting to wear on my patience, but then Jack and Sawyer had their intense and awesome conversation. I love the role switching they have done and just how easily Sawyer has turned into a leader. The quiet subtext of these long time foes was outstanding. I do not think Matthew Fox gets enough credit for his Dr. Jack. I am really looking forward to seeing more of these two guys challenging each other.

7. Best breakdown- McDreamy. Grey's Anatomy gets points for finally letting Patrick Dempsey do something other than swoon over the personality deficient Meredith Grey. Dempsey is not going to win any acting awards, but I liked his performance this week. He is so used to just either being arrogant or love sick that he seems to like stretching himself here. The show was losing me, but I am interested to see where this story goes. I love the crazy hair and the sad eyes. sigh!

8. Best Mythology reveal- Supernatural. Dean actually caused the whole thing to be set off while he was in Hell!?!?! The fandom is going to go crazy on that one. Eric Kripke has serious balls. And to have Alastar reveal it with his gross voice and choking on his own blood. Supernatural has never been afraid to put the two guys through crazy hell, but this a whole new level of craziness for the two brothers. This season has been all about the myth arc and this twist is just going to raise the notches a bit.

9. Best Pay off- Dollhouse. Joss Whedon told me to give it 6 episodes and I did. The first five has flashes of awesome and I was willing to give Whedon the benefit of the doubt and damn am I glad I did. Whedon wrote the episode which gave it a touch of humor, but it was all business. We actually got a glimpse at the myth arc, there was a kick ass fight between Agent Ballard and Echo and two nice twists, including one I never saw coming. Totally awesome. The episode really kicked everything up and was cooking on all cylinders. I want to know everything about The Dollhouse now!!

10. Best reality television moment- Making the Band. The group, Day26, signs their brand new contracts while drunk. One is so drunk he can barely stay awake. I hope Diddy totally screws these guys for being that kind of condition while signing incredibly important documents. Awesome.

I know Battlestar Galactica ended this week, but I have not seen the show ever, but everything I have read points me to thinking it was a very bad series finale. It is such a shame when that happens.

Chuck was on hiatus this week, which made me sad. I worry the show is not going to be renewed and am more worried they will not have a chance to tie it up if it is not renewed.

Lastly, I checked out the series premiere of Better Off Ted because it is between Scrubs and Lost. I will probably keep watching it because of that, but the show was okay. I want more Portia De Rossi because she is awesome, but the show has a chance to grow on me.

No comments: