Sunday, April 05, 2009

Television recap (Mar.29-Apr.4)

10. Scrubs- This is a weird season because every actor has to not appear in at least two episodes to keep costs down. This episode gave most of the actors a break while giving us time to examine the friendship between Turk and Elliot. I like these two together as friends and this episode did a really good job of mixing the funny and the serious. The interns have officially grown on me, but the show is ending soon, so I am trying not to get too attached to the whole thing. Highlight: Turk throwing a fit because J.D went to Disneyland without him.

9. Lost- This was about as bad as this show has been in like two years. It turns out I really do not care at all about Kate and will actually grow to hate her if Sawyer backslides and revisits his feelings for her. I like that Jack is furthering his transition into the new Locke by believing the Island takes care of things the way it wants. Also, they solved a lot of Ben related problems, which is good, I guess. I could have done without any of the non-Island stuff because Kate is just boring for me. I know I was supposed to feel something when she said good-bye to Aaron, but I do not. Also, a big deal was made about no one else raising Aaron and I need them to bring that back up. Highlight: Miles and Hurley having a conversation about what time is doing and how it operates. It was funny and informative.

8. Chuck- Tricia Helfer stops by as a new handler for Chuck! No! Sarah needs to be Chuck's handler, but Chuck goes all romantic with Chuck and the higher ups do not think it is a good idea. This episode was good because it really brings home the idea of Chuck as a sort of superhero. He has this big secret and he cannot tell his family and so everyone suffers. Plus, Tricia Helfer dressed as a sexy cop and did a pole dance. Still, Sarah remains the heart of this show and she risked her job to help Chuck. I do believe this Orion storyline is not as finished as they want us to think, but I am worried this show will not get proper closure. Highlight: Casey and the Helfer character are all business and the show used the scene of them cleaning their guns together as a sort of sex scene. Funny stuff, kudos!

7. American Idol- Lady GaGa is insane and I am starting to like her. She started the song all slow and stupid, but with clear vocals and then sang Poker Face the way it was meant to sung, and sounded awful! It was so weird. Anyway, I love her like Post-Post-Modern take on performing. It is like she is doing Britney doing Madonna. It is just crazy enough for me to be fascinated by the whole thing. I like that she is a rich girl who used to be a stripper just to be a stripper and even her name is growing on me on some childish nonsense level. Oh, the girl has serious ass too, at least in that outfit she did. Highlight: The zipper thingy over her left eye. Chick is just strange, but polished, which is awesome.

6. 24- Jack Bauer is on the sidelines dying for his country! Of course, he cannot die because the show has at least one more season, but Keifer is selling the hell out of this. Jack is putting up a brave front, but I keep waiting for that breakdown that he finally gave his life for his country. He sacrificed himself to save thousands. On top of everything else Jon Voight is totally rocking the villain role. He is melodramatic with just the right style of over-the-topness. Tony is back with a bigger role which is awesome and Larry Moss has finally understood what Jack Bauer is all about. Highlight: The final moments with Federal agents facing off with Starkwood. AWESOME!

5. Dollhouse- This felt like the end of a chapter, which was cool. I liked seeing the dolls in their actual personalities and the blossoming romance between Sierra and Victor is cool. I like that the romance is not with the main actress. It was a cool episode because it gave us back stories without needing slide into full flashbacks and it provided a reason for these people to sign up for the Dollhouse. Are they being paid for it? I know I am in the minority of fans, but I like Topher and think he provides an interesting thematic notion of playing God. Highlight: The fact that the whole plan was the doctor's. I did not see that coming at al.

4. Terminator- This is super high on the list this week because the show had the balls to kill off the best part of the show and they did it in the first 20 minutes and did it so quickly and unceremoniously. I am not sure I am going to care much about the show after this week, but I have to give it props for doing this. The show is not assured a third season, so I have a hard time mustering the energy to concern myself with the whole thing, but I enjoyed this episode. I am finally thinking the whole John Henry plot is going to pay off, which is good because I think so much more could have been done there. This show is at its best when it forgoes with the end of the world stuff and just focuses on what is happening at that moment and this episode had a lot of that. Highlight: Cameron laying the smack down on another Cyborg. She kicks so much ass.

3. Friday Night Lights- The team lost State, but did it in nailbiting and awesome fashion. Down 27 at half, Coach Taylor makes some changes, gives a speech and awesome things happen. Matt leads the team to 28 unanswered points! Landry leads the way with a huge block and Landry also kisses Tyra! Is Tim Riggins done with football? Was him leaving his cleats on the field symbolic of that? Coach and Joe McCoy are heading for some serious issues. Most importantly, THE SHOW WAS RENEWED FOR TWO SEASON!!! Coach Taylor's speech after the game gave me my usual end of episode tears. They really are all champions in my book. Highlight: Riggins and Saracen playing Frisbee is a moment of pure innocent joy between two guys who should have had more screen time together.

2. How I Met your Mother- After watching this on Monday I was convinced this would be my favorite thing all week. That is how good it was. Ted has a Murtaugh list. A Murtaugh list is a list of things he is too old to do and it is named after Det. Murtaugh of Lethal Weapon. That concept is so indicative of this show and how awesome it is. All week I have been trying to write my own Murtaugh list. Barney decides he needs to do everything on the list, which leads to NPH with Pink hair in rave clothes. In exchange, Ted has to do all of the things old people do, which Ted thinks is awesome because he wants to be an old man. Barney's exchange with the laser-tag boss was also absolutely hilarious, in mock cop fashion. Highlight: Barney pathetically on Ted's couch with his pink hair, rave clothes and pussing ear finally admitting defeat.

1. Supernatural- Erik recently asked me if I had to choose one show to watch what would it be and I answered "Supernatural." This episode is totally why it would be my one show. This episode starts off in hilarity as Sam and Dean discover books have been written about the lives and the show gets very META as the boys discover fandoms and fan fiction and mention how disgusting "slash-fic" is because they are brothers. Also, the creator of the show finds a way to apologize for bad episodes and all other kinds of META things. However, right at the half way mark, one sentence turns the episode into something very serious. Supernatural has that ability and it never seems forced. Castiel gets to do more helping Dean stuff and we learn that the book of Winchester is being written. Highlight: Dean saying "I am sitting in a Laundromat reading about me sitting in a Laundromat, reading about me..My head hurts."


I purposely avoided the series finale of E.R. this week because at some point, I will watch the whole series and kind of want the finale to be as much of a surprise as something can be these days with the Internet.

No comments: