Sunday, April 26, 2009

Television recap (Apr. 19-25)

There were still too many reruns of shows I watch, so in order to get to ten I will double up on shows, yet again.

10. Late Night with Jimmy Fallon- I never catch an entire episode, but every so often I watch the show for a few minutes and I have to admit I liked Jimmy fencing with Jerry O' Connell. It was a nice funny moment and I think Fallon is finding a niche as the host who is game for anything. I think this comes from his background at Saturday Night Live, which called on him to be up for everything. Fallon lost the fencing match, but he did get the first point, which I am sure was unexpected.

9. Grey's Anatomy - Alex and George have always hated each other and this week it all finally erupted. The two actors really stepped it up and their verbal fight was highly intense and then the final moments with the two characters was equally nice. I am fairly certain we are losing George at the end of the season, which is too bad because when he was getting good story lines he really did well with them. This was a glimpse of that.

8. The Office- Well the arc of Michael with his own company finally comes to an end. I am not sure if I liked the storyline, but I liked Michael in it. The show so often plays up Michael as a clueless guy who could never have been a manager of a store for so long and these last few episodes showed that there was a time when Michael could really bring it and this week he brought it hard! Michael, with his company about to go under, finds a way to get Pam, Ryan and himself jobs back at Dunder/Mifflin. The episode was not as funny as some episode, but it was a great moment, nonetheless.

7. Scrubs- Anytime I get to see Elizabeth Banks on my screen, I consider it a good thing. This week we got Banks and Scott Foley. Foley and Braff have always had a funny screen chemistry as two guys who hate each other and that continued here. The funniest moment was when the two couples could not figure out how to sit as to make it not awkward. As Scrubs winds down, I find myself fully connected to the characters again, something that has been missing the last two seasons. I am kind of sad to see it go.

6. Supernatural- Fans were up in arms about this episode before it ever aired because it featured a previously unknown about 3rd brother. In television terms it is called a "Jump the Shark" moment. It is a single moment that destroys the whole show. The title of the episode was "Jump the Shark" but the episode was very serious, save for one reference to a Jump the Shark moment by naming the diner "Cousin Oliver's" which is a reference to The Brady Bunch's Jump the Shark moment. Well played Mr. Kripke.

5. Dollhouse- This week featured a really interesting story idea. A client dies, but finds life again as a doll. This led the head of security to question where it all ends. It also gave another reason for the Dollhouse to exist, which has become an important thing for Joss Whedon and company to do. However, the best moment in the episode came when Topher turns one of the dolls into a buddy. It is something he gets to do one time a year. I like the idea of it. he is a guy who loves his job so much, but it is more than full time job, so one day a year he gets to play. It provided some funny moments, but I think it really humanized Topher.

4. 24- At first I was unsure of keeping Jack on the sidelines because he is such an action hero. However, having him out of the action have shown us just how smart Jack is. We have always seen the flashes of Jack intelligence, but now as he watches everything unfold, he has to use only his brain to help. This moment was very evident when he went out in the field after Tony was shot and deduced very quickly that there had to be a second shooter. Jack Bauer is the single greatest U.S.A saver ever.

3. Supernatural- When Dean and Sam find out they have a third brother the brothers have very different reactions, but what I liked more is that they seem to be different reactions than they would have had early in the series. In Supernatural, the things that happen in the past continue to change the outlook of the brothers and I really like that. Whereas Dean was once single minded, Sam has become that now. Dean telling Sam that Dean was more like their dad was a very telling moment. I am really excited to see where this is going.

2. Chuck- One episode left in the season and this show is pulling out of all the stops. This episode was full of great things, but it all pales in comparison to Chuck and Sarah making out in bed. HOW HOT WAS THAT?? First off, it starts slow and sensual with the two waking up and holding hands, nice and slowly running their fingers over their hands and then BAM!! Hard core awesome rolling around in bed making out. Oh Chuck, way to finally make your move. The climax to the moment was depressing, but perfectly Chuck, but who cares, he was rolling around in bed with Sarah. Damn, dude. Just damn.

1. 24- I was trying to find a way not to spoil this for anyone who watches it on DVD, but I cannot find a way to do it. As Jack finally realizes what Tony did, the two men have a confrontation. However, Jack cannot keep it up as his seizures start to get the best of him. Jack has just lost his only friend left and on top of it, he is dying. Keifer continues it be amazing this season and what makes this more exciting is knowing that before this season is over Tony and Jack will meet again and my guess is Tony will not enjoy it one bit. No sir!

No comments: