Monday, April 13, 2009

television recap (Apr. 5-11)

I know I am a day late here, but I did not get the chance to watch Lost until this morning and felt I needed to hold off until I had seen it. So, without further waiting, here are last week's top 10 television moments.

10. Jimmy Fallon- I have yet to sit through an entire episode of the show because I am not one for the late night talk shows, but I stumbled upon a segment early in the week with Cameron Diaz. First off, The Roots are his house band, which is beyond incredible. He and Cameron had a funny dance off while The Roots played original tunes. Diaz won with her hip shaking, but Fallon and Diaz had a nice chemistry and I think Fallon is settling into things.

9. Saturday Night Live- Zac Efron turned out to be a pretty good host. He did not set ablaze the comedy world, but he was charming and willing to do everything asked of him. The highlight was the HSM parody where Troy Bolton comes back to East High and tells all of the graduating seniors that there is no singing in college. The sketch is funny for musical geeks, but I liked it because Zac was hitting in issues with Zac not Troy. Will we accept Zac as someone who has moved on from HSM, or will he have to go back to Disney forever?

8. Reaper- Is Sam giving into the idea of the Dark Side? I do not know, but I am liking where this episode took the show. I have grown tired of Sock and his step sister flirting and am glad they finally did the deed and I saw the end coming a mile away, but this episode was made worth it by the fact that Ben was willing to make the ultimate sacrifice because he thought he lost the girl he loved. Part of the best thing about this show is that the 3 guys have very distinct personalities and Ben being the softer guy, it made sense.

7. Scrubs- As the final season starts to wind down, it is time for J.D. and Elliot to have issues. I liked the way they brought up the issues by putting the whole cast in an exotic locale. I am not sure how so much of a hospital staff was able to get away for a fake wedding, but whatever, it is Scrubs. This season has had less of the crazy daydreams and focused more on the reality and the J.D./Elliot love story has been a pretty grounding force throughout the run of the show. The moment at the bar made the episode as it showed how differently J.D. and Elliot think in terms of love. Of course, a scene featuring Elliot in a bikini in slow motion runs a close second.

6. 24- I am not sure how long I want Jack on the sidelines in all honesty. I like that Tony is running around making things happen, but I need Bauer Power!! With Bauer nursing his life threatening chemical agent, Tony infiltrates and finds the chemical weapons, but is it in time? I am confused as to where this story can go from here. This season seems to have gone off the typical short arcs building to a bigger arc, all of a sudden. I could be wrong, of course. The best moment came as Jon Voight, in all of his villain-like glee, gives the President an ultimatum. Good television!

5. Chuck- This episode really makes me hope this little show of awesomeness will get renewed. it was so packed with everything that makes it wonderful. First off, Scot Bakula as Chuck's dad was totally perfect. Bakula should find a way back on network television. I loved it. Then Chevy Chase as the villain was also cool. However, the coolest moment was Chuck, clad in spy gear, shooting knock out darts into Casey and Casey stumbling and slurring how badly he was going to kill Chuck. I need this show to keep going!

4. Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles- Whether this is the season or series finale I do not know. What I do know is that all of my fears about where the show would go without Derek were eased by the truly awesome final scene. Cameron is gone, John and his mother are now in two different times and John is in the future, as a young John. I am not sure how they will go forward, but I like where they left things. The finale had guns fights, a prison break and John and Cameron hotness on a bed. So what if she is a Robot. She is Summer Glau. YUMMY!

3. Dollhouse- This was another exceptional episode from the Dollhouse team. I liked that we saw everyone's story, in a sort of overlapping method and any show that opens with Eliza Dushku as a dominatrix gets automatic points in my book. Sierra has totally grown on me as a sexy and smart female and Echo, is still awesome. The scene that started as an interrogation and ended in a fight, stole show because it was awesome and because it provided a twist I truly would have never seen coming. I am going to miss the character, but I think it was a good move in terms of story telling.

2. Friday Night Lights- Another great season finale in the books. I am so freaking glad this show has been renewed for two seasons because I think they set up the next two seasons perfectly in this finale. There are so many great moments starting with the 5 month spanning montage to open things and then the wedding party giving every character a moment to shine at the end. Picking one moment to highlight is tough, but I am going with Coach Taylor's quiet, gentle but firm plea for his job. Kyle Chandler is one of those actors who says more with his face than many can say with words and this moment really drove that home.

1. Lost- Speaking of actors who can say a lot with their face, Michael Emerson as Ben Linus continues a master class on acting over at Lost. The show is finally back on track this week with an awesome episode full of pulpy weirdness, cool story twists, and a brutally quick and intense fight. Lost is always better when John Locke in confident and in charge. His aloof arrogance is awesome in this episode as he leads Ben to a Smoke Monster trial. Picking one moment is again tough, but I think I will go with John and Ben having their first conversation. Emerson and Quinn are masterful in their facial expressions as these two island leaders try and figure out what the other knows.

With Terminator and Friday Night Lights ending their seasons, I am going to probably pick up Harper's Island and either Southland of The Unusuals depending on which pilot I like better.

Also, The Office would be my pick for worst of the week. Neither new episode really did anything for me, which makes me sad.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

Love that you're talking about Reaper! I agree with everything you said. Hey some of us are trying to persuade the CW that there is a fanbase out here who support the show and want a third season. Is it a longshot? Yes. But what's the harm? Check it out!

http://tvseriesfinale.com/articles/reaper-tv-show-support/

Taylor said...

Thanks for the Zac on SNL heads up! And for waiting to do the rankings until you watched Lost <3