Sunday, April 19, 2009

Television recap (Apr. 12-18)

With two of my shows off the air and another three on hiatus for the week, I am not sure I even have ten moments this week, so I am going to cheat and a few of my shows will have two moments.

10. American Idol- This week had the awesome Quentin Tarantino on, but the week sucked. The songs chosen by the singers were just so obvious and boring. The only person I actually loved this week was Kris Allen and his version of "Falling Slowly" from the film Once. He was the only person to emotionally connect to the song and to the movie, which Tarantino pointed out was probably the idea of this kind of challenge. Kris will probably come in second to Adam when it is all said and done, but he could have a nice career doing his Jason Mraz/Jack Johnson thing. Mostly, he gets kudos for not over singing a song, which is a rarity for a show like AI

9. The Office- I am still not sure I love the idea of two warring paper companies, but I enjoyed seeing Michael Scott at work this week. The man has survived in the business for 20 years and this week we got to see why. The man can flat out sell and his war with Dwight was funny, but mostly because Michael stayed sane while Dwight went crazy. The key moment was when Michael was trying to steal Dwight's client while leaving his phone on so Dwight could listen to the master work. Great stuff.

8. The Big Bang Theory- This week we actually saw the guys in a comic book store. The episode was full of great things, but the kicker had to be watching Penny maneuver around a comic book store. As she walks in all of the nerds inside the store freeze and stare at her. Leonard leans in and whispers "Don't worry, they are just as scared of you as you are of them" and Penny responds "I doubt it." The show has really figured out how to perfectly use Penny finally.

7. Scrubs- Part two of the weird wedding. Scrubs has had quite a ride and this season finds the show a lot more grounded in reality, which is nice. It has also gone back to the idea of one universal theme for all of the characters in an episode. The highlight this week includes an acoustic version of Andre 300's massive hit "Hey Ya." As that song plays the three main couples realize what love means and how they are supposed to work as a team to remain happy. Scrubs has never been afraid of getting a little sappy and I feel like all of the actors are earnest enough to make it work.

6. How I met your Mother- I know there are some people wanting this show to start moving on with Ted and a girl, but I am liking the idea of Ted starting his own business and stuff. However, his story this week was not the main attraction. With Marhsall worrying about getting fired he needs a gimmick to make him invaluable. As he and Barney think about it we are introduced to different invaluable guys: food guy, toy guy, etc. The best moment, though, was at the very end of the episode where the ninja shows up in the office and Barney says that ninjas have been known to infiltrate the building. What does Barney do???

5. Chuck- I will keep championing this show as long as it is on the air. This season has really caught fire and this week continues that trend, with awesome spy stuff, great humor and even a really good B-plot at the Buy More. However, this week's moment has everything to do with the music. First, a heavy assassin chases Chuck to the sounds of Duran Duran's Hungry like the Wolf, offering a very funny chase. Then during an awesome gun fight, we get Twisted Sister's "We're not gonna take it" blaring as Sarah lays down the law on a series of bad guys. I have always been a sucker for a girl who can kick my ass and Sarah continues that trend. The gun fight was an awesome combination of bullets, slow motion and a kick ass song. Chuck needs to be renewed!!

4. Lost- Miles finally gets his own episode. I enjoyed the flashbacks because it was a totally new experience and any time Marsha Thompson(Naomi)is on my screen I consider it a good thing. however, the moment I love happened on the island. With Miles and Hurley carpooling (To maybe stop Global warming before it happens) the two engage in a nice conversation about Star Wars. One thing I love about Lost is how they constantly form and change the dynamic of groups. Miles and Hurley, somehow, have connected in a funny way, recently. First they had the Back to the Future conversation and now they use Star Wars, which gives Hurley a great analogy with Darth Vader and Luke.

3. 24- With Jack dying, Kim returns and 24 gives us one of the longest scenes in the history of the show. It is also the quietest, most touching and heartbreaking scene in the series. So many people have hated Kim for so long, but it was nice to have her back. My guess is that she did not actually leave, but it still gave us a great scene. Keifer is such a talented guy at playing gruff, but in the quiet moments when Jack is reflecting about how much he has lost, Keifer really brings it and this week was no exception. Jack was okay with dying but now that he has seen his daughter it is going to make the whole thing much more difficult. Great stuff!

2. Lost- For weeks I have been missing Daniel Faraday. I have needed my nerdy scientist fix. I need the guy back who actually knows what is going on. After spending an hour with Miles, I was getting curious about Daniel and where he went. I knew he would be back in the past because of the quick flashback we had earlier in the season, but it was still so exciting to see him pop out of the submarine this week. It was also nice that he had that smug knowingly smile as he said hi to Miles. With so much going on that no one can seem to explain, Daniel is all knowing and I need that force to help figure out what the hell is going on.

1. 24- This show has made its mark on television with the unbelievable twist. Seasons 1 and 5 had these amazing jaw dropping, from out of nowhere twists that "changed the game." This season has had the usual mole and cool reveal of villains, but this week they dropped another major twist and I swear I never saw it coming. Triple crosses do not happen all that often. I had stopped worrying about the motives of Tony like 7 hours ago and then BAM! Plus, it marked the death of a character I was just starting to like, which should have been a clue that he was going to die.

No comments: