Sunday, September 20, 2009

Television recap (Sept. 13-Sept. 20)

The television season is still not in full swing, but it is getting closer. This week brought NBC's Thursday comedy block and then this week brings the rest of the season, pretty much. So, on to the recap.

VMAs- Much has been made of Kanye West, so I am not going to discuss that. What I am going to do is talk about Jay-Z's performance. I love how they built it up, and how easy he made it look. Alicia Keys looked amazing and her piano playing is always nice. I enjoyed all of the performances except for The Muse, but that had more to do with my inability to make out the words from the singer. Russell Brand was not as funny as last year, but he had some good jokes. Also, why did Cobra Starship not perform? That song was a smash this summer.

Entourage- I know a lot of people do not like Zac Efron, but he really was funny in this episode. Actors appearing on this show always have a great time and Efron was no exception. The episode raised the stakes a bit overall and then they had a really silly turn of events regarding the big stalker storyline, some may think ti was lazy, but I think it was exactly what makes Entourage fun.

Melrose Place- The girl who wants to be a doctor is turning tricks to pay for Med. school. If I ever need to really see a doctor, I want to know she was passionate enough about being a doctor that was willing to turn tricks to pay for it. Katie Cassidy is still my favorite, but she is a big tease thus far. Actually, the whole show is too much of a tease right now. Also, the show is moving incredibly fast with the twists and back stories.

SYTYCD- The audition aspect of this show is definitely the weakest part of the show. They work so hard to create stories that we do not get a lot of dancing and certainly not enough Cat Deeley! This week we did meet a gorgeous hard of hearing girl, whose story was perfectly exploited for tears. I highly doubt she is going to make it to the final 20, but I am rooting for her.

Glee- This week the focus was on the teacher and his A-Capella group. I loved it! Anytime I can get "This is how we do it", "Poison" and "I wanna sex you up" in the same episode, consider me happy. Matthew Morrison is effortless in his singing and acting. Plus, this episode did not feature the annoying wife except during all the sex, so that was good. However, I was most impressed by Josh Groban. The guy seems like he could be such a douche bag, but he proved to me that the guy is a nice charming guy, who happens to be ridiculously talented.

Community- I am just going to embed my favorite moment from this show because it might be the funniest new sitcom I have seen in like 3 or 4 years. Joel McHale is in excellent comic form and the surrounding characters all add something nice to the show. It is a collection of assorted comics, and character actors and they really have a nice chemistry. However, the show will live and die with McHale and so far he has risen to the challenge.

The Office- I am not going to lie, I was not nearly as excited about this premiere as I thought I would be. I think the show is funny, but I do not know if I am just kind of tired of it, or what. However, I am really glad I watched it because it was quite funny. Steve Carrell was in top form as he created rumors about everyone. I love how the show deals with really serious issues, without making a big deal about them, but I kind of wish there would have been more about Pam's pregnancy because Jim and Pam are so flipping adorable!

Supernatural- My favorite show in the fall is just getting better. This episode featured so much amazing stuff it is hard to digest it all. First we have the return of some of the other hunters, which is always fun. Then, we get the first Horseman of the Apocalypse and the horse he rides in on is a sick mustang car. Then you have the cool reveal of what is really going on and finally you have the shows biggest shift with Sam and Dean parting ways. It was a shocking moment for the show, made even More shocking that it had nothing to do with the supernatural aspect, it was just two brothers realizing things were not working. I was literally on the edge of my seat!

The rest of my shows come back this week, except Californication and Dexter which premiere next week.

No comments: