Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Fantastic Mr. Fox and Nightmare on Elm Street



I cannot recall seeing a trailer that goes from smart funny, to semi serious to totally silly in the first 30 seconds and this one does that and it does it brilliantly. It starts with with a quasi-deep conversation, with a joke, then it goes serious and then BAM, silly fox eating. Wes Anderson has always kind of walked a fine line between too smug and just the right amount of smug, but who knows how this will turn out, but it looks wonderful. I love the shot of the waterfall in the background and I think the voice work is going to be top notch. Also, how does not love lines like "The Cuss you will." Then to wrap it all up, Owen Wilson's perfectly nonsensical relaying of a perfectly nonsensical sport. Oh Wes Anderson, you sure know how to hook me, don't you. I also think the animation looks incredible. I could do without the praises from critics, but it is a nice touch, as well.




The problem with horror movie trailers is that they are, essentially the same thing. With slasher flicks, there will be a lot of shots of hot young people running, flashes of weapons, and these hot young people covered in sweat and/or blood. The images will be fast and loud and roughly interchangeable with every other horror movie. In that regard, this trailer is unspectacular. I love the casting of Jackie Earl Haley as Freddy Kreuger and I like the idea of the remake on principal. Freddy's movies were all about the effects and imagine what they can do now. I love the homages to the original, with the jump rope, the little song and the shot of the hand in the tub. It makes me think the makers of this movie have some sort of respect for the material. However, what I really love in the trailer is the opening. I just assumed the first trailer for this movie would be a nightmare and then a girl would wake up with cuts in her shirt. Nope, instead we see an alive Freddy running away from an angry mob. Nice touch. The trailer does not excite me, but it does not turn me off either. It just kind of exists, in the way all horror movie trailers exist.

No comments: