Wednesday, September 09, 2009

3 new trailer reviews



If this is not the worst trailer I have ever seen, it is certainly top 3 (bottom 3, I guess). Words can barely express the disgust I have at everyone involved in this project, especially Sam Rockwell. Of course, I loathed Napoleon Dynamite and refused to see Nacho Libre, so I might not be the best person to judge, but I cannot even imagine how anyone could possibly think this garbage looks even remotely interesting, or funny. Typically comedy trailers have a habit of showing some of the funniest stuff in the trailer and if the funniest stuff in this movie is in the trailer, I am not sure it could be classified as a comedy because a comedy has to umm elicit laughs, right? Or at least a smile and not make one make a face of disgust, right? Watching this trailer makes me feel like I have to go watch something that is actually funny to wash the taste out of my mouth.




This is probably the most effective horror trailer I have seen in quite some time. Even if it is not actually based on actual events, it is an effective narrative tool. Plus, the images and sounds are genuinely creepy. Plus, I like the idea of something as non scary as a white owl instilling a kind of fear, or at the very least a kind of questioning. It is probably an alien abduction movie, but who can really tell. When I saw it for the first time this weekend, people were audibly freaked out and that is always a good thing for a horror trailer. It does fall into the typical horror trailer cliche of ending a trailer with a bunch of quick cuts, loud noises and disturbing images, but I found it to be shockingly effective. I was never sucked in to the Blair Witch Project nonsense, but this is obviously cribbing from that kind of film, only this looks pretty awesome.



This is the kind of movie that one will either get or not at all get. I believe I am totally going to get it, because this trailer straight up kills me. It might be the movie I am most looking forward to as the end of the year approaches. It looks hilarious, first of all and it has great actors who all enjoy being just more than a bit silly. You have Jeff Bridges in full on "The Dude" mode, Kevin Spacey at his Kevin Spacey best and then George Clooney who obviously had so much fun being silly in Burn after Reading that he wanted to do it again. Who knows how factual the story is, but who cares when it looks so damn funny. I am sure it is a very liberal movie, but I am a liberal, so it is all good!

No comments: