Sunday, July 12, 2009

Top 10 stand up comics

I have always felt stand up comedy is the most subjective thing out there. I do not know a single comedian that is loved by everyone. Every time I think I find someone that everyone loves, I find people who do not like that person. So, I thought it would be fun to list my favorite 10. For this list, I will be using guys who came to some sort of "fame" as comedians, meaning people like Jim Carrey, while funny, will not be featured. Also, to do an "all time" type list would take way too much time, research and effort, I am going with a current top 10, not that the people have to be alive, but that I currently like.

10. George Carlin- If I was doing an all time list, this guy would be higher, but I have to admit, I have not really listened much to him recently. The man had topics for days, loved to push buttons, and could go on the best rants without ever pausing for laughs. He would drive right through until he was finished and then he would relish the kind of cheers. He is most famous for "The 7 dirty words you cannot say on television" but I love "baseball vs. football" and it is clean. So here it is.



9. Ellen Degeneres- As far as female comedians go, I find myself rarely liking them for long periods of time. I am not sure why that is, but it is. I will find one funny in spurts, but not for a whole set, but Ellen is different. This woman is flat out funny and she was a favorite of my parents, so I have seen a lot of her. She is the only comedian I have seen my dad quote, other than Steve Martin and I like her long stories and her short jokes. She is totally likable, which can be a curse in stand up, but she makes it work. To me her most memorable bit is a very short bit about airplanes, and here it is.



8. Steven Lynch- If I am ever in a bad mood, I watch his special, sing along and just feel better. He is a good looking guy, which is rare for a comic, but he is also really funny. The songs are catchy which is a nice plus, but they are also very funny. I would like to see him live because I bet the songs play even better is person, but, I have a few of his specials and they are really strong. He manages enough good songs without really needing to fill up time with jokes because the songs are the best jokes he has. It is really tough to pick a favorite one, but I think I am going to go with "Special Ed" only because the only version of "Superheroes" on-line is the super long one where he takes audience suggestions and they get out of control.



7. Gary Gulman- Like someone who is higher on this list (Brian Regan), Gulman takes the every day little things and turns them into great jokes. He does it with an easy charm and a laid back delivery that works surprisingly well in person. He loves to talk about food, which is always a plus and he is another one of those likable comedians. There is not a lot of him up on Youtube, but he is well worth renting on Netflix, or going to see if he is around. I liked him on Last Comic Standing, but really grew to like him after seeing him live. He is just super funny and really relatable. As there is not much of him on-line, I am going with his "Pepsi" bit. It is a funny bit, but not the funniest, but it gives you a good idea of who he is as a comic.



6. Brian Regan- The first time I saw this guy I could only think about how weird he was. No one uses his facial expressions and body language better than this guy. His jokes are relatable, but his delivery really makes the bits work. He spends most of the time on every day things that we all understand and make jokes about, but his jokes are just so much better than ours. I decided to go with his wonderful Pop Tarts bit because it perfectly shows how he uses his whole body in a joke.



5.Jim Gaffigan- No one looks more like a stand up comedian than this guy. The idea behind being a comic is that the funniest people became funny as a defense mechanism and Gaffigan fits that. He is pale and nerdy, and he is hilarious. I am dying to see his act live. His voice is perfect and he changes it up mid joke for effect and his act is based on food, animals and laziness. Every joke he makes works in some way and I have decided to put, what I think is his best bit here for all of you. I present Jim Gaffigan on Hot Pockets.



4. Mitch Hedberg- Mitch is the kind of comedian not everyone gets. He is a one-liners style comedian who just says rapid fire jokes that will go over your head if you are not paying attention. He was always drugged out on stage, which added to his whole vibe. Not every joke hits, but he can get you on a string of jokes so funny, you need time to catch your breath. If you like Dimitri Martin, and not heard of Hedberg, do yourself a favor and check him out. Because he does not tell stories, or long jokes, you can check out any clip of his to see what he is like, so here is one that has a great opening.



3. Dane Cook- The most controversial comic among fans of comedy that I have ever seen. I do not begrudge those that hate this guy. I understand, I do. However, I love him. I love his long stories with no punch lines. I love his nonsensical quotes and manic energy. No one has been able to show me undisputable proof that he has stolen any material and I have never, in my life, seen a comic live who has held the attention of a crowd like this guy did. And he did it in a giant arena in the round. Maybe he lives, looks and feels more like a rock star than a comedian, but I still find him to be very funny. His newest stuff is a bit darker and a bit different and I like that he has soldiered on despite so many people just hating him, especially other comedians. No comedian has ever made it bigger as a comic than he has. I decided to go with a short bit just because he does rub people the wrong way, but here is his car alarm bit.



2. Dana Carvey- It is true, he became famous through SNL, but he is a stand up comic and he has the funniest stand up special I have ever seen. The jokes in it are over a decade old and it is still super hilarious. He utilizes impressions, instruments, and good old fashioned story telling to bring out the laughs and they all work. He has a great energy and he is constantly referring back to other bits from the special. His newest special was pretty damn funny, but he gets by on Critic's Choice, which is forever cemented in stand up hall of fame. It is really that funny. Everyone knows he can do impressions, but impressions are tricky because the bit has to be funny as well, something Frank Caliendo needs to learn. Carvey did not get as famous as Mike Myers, but he is worlds funnier. What follows his some guitar humor.



1. Chris Rock- This guy is number one on any list I make about stand up comedy. he remains one of the most fierce biting voices in the realm of stand up comedy in the vein of Richard Pryor. His specials are quotable, hilarious, nasty and feature some great "Oh no he didn't" moments. He tackles every possible issue from race, politics, music, celebrity and marriage. I know some people who just hate his voice, but his delivery is outstanding and really help make the jokes. he is known for telling really long stories and he can work about 6 or 7 different punch lines into a single story, which is impressive. Warning, the video, about strippers, has extremely coarse and foul language.



There are so many other great comics who did not quite make the list along some that I have not seen enough from to say whether I really like them. Kevin James has one spectacular stand up show, but it is the only stuff I have seen from him.

As far as some comics I cannot stand: Jeff Dunham, any of the blue collar guys, Lisa Lampinelli and Katt Williams.

Who are some guys that you like or hate?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

great post

agree 90%

-Dane Cook

sorry

Unknown said...

I'm 100% with you on Dane Cook man. I tried to hate him at one point, but I just can't.