Sunday, July 19, 2009

My 10 favorite Movie Musicals

Let me begin by saying that it turns out I have not seen many of what are considered to be "classic" movie musicals, nor do I like very many of the ones I have seen. I might be a bit bias in that I just prefer to see the stage versions of many of the movies. So, this list may not look like what people might think a musical theater performer's list should look like. Also, I have never seen what is widely considered to be the best movie musical of all time: Singin' in the Rain. I have plans to see it, really I do, but I just never get around to keeping it high on my Netflix list.

10. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers- This is kind of weird one to be on the list because I really do not like the show at all. However, the movie holds a special place for me because it happens to be one of my very best friend's favorite movies and I first watched it with her. I have to admit the choreography is super exciting and it is a very fun movie. I do not put the movie on very often, but if someone wanted to watch it, I would be down for it, although I'd rather just watch it with Liz. The big social scene is my favorite. I could not find a full clip of it, so this is the start.



9. Nightmare Before Christmas- I am not as high on this movie as many people I know, but the music does stick with you, the animation is wonderful and the characters do pop off the screen. The story is perfectly weird and twisted and the music does present a sort of dark joy, which is an interesting contrast in terms and sounds. I do not have a Christmas movie that I have to watch every year, but if I did, this would surely be high on that list. It is tough to pick out a singular scene, but "This is Halloween" is the song I always end up singing and am now currently singing.



8. Grease- I really do love the movie, even if I do not enjoy watching the live show. I love performing in the live show, but watching it is tedious. The movie is helped out by some classic Travolta moments, great choreography and the perfect cheesiness from the supporting cast. I want to complain about the ending, like so many I know, but I just don't care enough and Olivia Newton-John looks too hot for me to be bothered by the theme. "Grease Lightning" is my favorite scene because of the real world to fantasy world switch and I just love the song. I do think the movie would be better if "Alone at the Drive in" had made it from stage to screen.



7. Across the Universe- I have to admit a certain amount of surprise at myself for this one. The fact is, I saw it and kind of liked it and figured that was it, but the movie has stayed with me. The key moments in the movie are so excellent that they make up for the lack of a cohesive story and since I am not the world's biggest The Beatles fan, the music is not destroyed for me. In fact, some of the music is enhanced for me by the images of the movie. The cast is young and energetic and I have the soundtrack, so the voices stay with me. There are about 4 or 5 truly awesome sequences but I think my favorite is "Strawberry Fields Forever." That is the one that most sticks with me. You have to go in about 2 minutes of the clip.



6. South Park: Bigger Longer & Uncut- So sue me, I love this as a musical. I love how they make the kids dance and how Satan is portrayed as a kind of sympathetic homosexual. The music is funny and catchy and the movie does have a point. The songs are satires/parodies of songs form other musicals and when you hear Oklahoma as a very foul song, it makes it that much better. I have been waiting for another South Park musical ever since this came out and I love that the two creators seem to really like musicals. Picking just one moment is really tough, but I think "It's easy, mmkay" is my favorite because of the dancing. Just watching these cut outs dance is too much fun to pass up. There is no clip that be can embedded, damn.

5. Guys and Dolls- The clothes are slick, the gangsters are smooth and Frank Sinatra, well he is grossly miscast, but who cares when he looks and sounds the way he does. Guys and Dolls is one of my favorite on stage musicals and the movie lives up to my ideas of it. The dancing is so wonderful, the singing great and Marlon Brando does a pretty good job considering it is the part Ol' Blue Eyes should have had. There is a serious energy coming off of this movie and from the first time I watched it my junior year, I have enjoyed going back to it every so often. My favorite scene is the sewer scene, but to pin it down even further it is the gamblers dance. Great stuff.



4. Hairspray- This is the most perfectly fun musical I have ever seen. Everything about it is pure energy and style. The colors pop, the dancing is wonderful and I love every one's voice, even Travolta's weird voice thingy. When my theater played this movie, I watched the final half hour a few dozen times. I have seen the whole thing probably 8 or 9 times already and I keep coming back for more. I think it is perfectly cast and while Adam Shankman kind of annoys me, he did a great job as the director/choreographer. I really love everything about this movie, but if I had to narrow down my favorite thing, it would be "You Can't stop the Beat" because the dancing is awesome, but they also get a lot of great character moments in it. I kind of want to watch it now.



3. Aladdin- So, I had to find one Disney movie to kind of fill in for all of their great movie musicals and Aladdin is my all time favorite one. So, you can kind of call this one a representative of a whole gaggle of movies, but this is my favorite of them. Disney did such a wonderful thing by keeping the musical alive when everyone was kind of afraid to make them and the story, characters, colors and energy propel this one. The music soars and there are so many really great sequences. It has a great funny song, great love duet, wonderful first song, and that great Disney song that gives the animators a chance to really shine. My favorite song is "One Jump" but my favorite sequence has to be "Never had a friend like me." Robin Williams has not much work better than the Genie.



2. Moulin Rouge- If you really know me, this should be no surprise. This is my ultimate tragic movie. It is my favorite heart breaking movie and if I am watching it, it usually means something is wrong with me. The movie pops off the screen and it takes the idea of a jukebox musical to new heights by using Nirvana in a musical. It also re imagines "Like a Virgin" as a very creepy song and crams about 50 years worth of love songs into one medley. Ewan MacGregor is just absolutely wonderful and heart breaking throughout the whole thing and Nicole Kidman has never looked better. For my favorite sequence, I do have to go away from the romance and pick the Roxanne Tango for sheer artistic perfection. It is dark, creepy, sexy and weird, everything one could hope for the movie. Of course, I love this movie not just for the musicals aspect but because it really truly breaks my heart every time.



1. The Wizard of Oz- I knew I was hooked on this movie in one very particular moment: trees throwing apples. It has nothing to do with the music, no, but that was the moment I knew I would love this movie forever. I do love the music and the dancing and the munchkins, but it is the apple throwing trees that hooked me. It is the perfect fantasy film that leads into the perfect realization and fantasy is nice, but reality is where our collective hearts are. I love the journey and how the heart, brain and courage are internal things in all of us and I love the evil witch and the red shoes, but mostly, I love the trees that throw apples. We would not have the awesome trees in Lord of the Rings without the apple throwing trees of The Wizard of Oz. If you want my favorite musical moment, it has to be Judy Garland simply soaring over "Somewhere over the Rainbow." The girl could perform the hell out of a song.



A few last thoughts:

West Side Story was number 11

Mary Poppins was number 12

Chicago was nowhere near this list as I think it is the most overrated movie musical we have with the most awful casting job.

2 comments:

Rob said...

I wish you could have thrown out some love for Little Shop of Horrors and Cabaret as those are two of my favorite. Major props on South park, as that would either come in as my 1 or 2. Also, no Singing in the rain>

But dude: Across the Universe. WHY?! Sorry, I hated that movie. It is horrible aside from the visuals.

Kyle Hadley said...

To be perfectly honest, I have seen Little Shop and Cabaret one time each, so I have very little recollection of what I thought about them.

Across the universe is one of those movies that is on our list of differing opinions. I really enjoyed it, mostly because of the visuals.

If you can like Beowulf, for the visuals (At least I hope that is why, because if there is another reason you like it, well that is just sad) then I can like Across the Universe for visuals.