Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Sherlock Holmes, New Moon and Nine

I don't know if this will become a semi regular part of the blog, but as trailers are used to get us excited for movies, I thought I would look at a few trailers and gauge my excitement for the movies based on the trailers. Some people might think reviewing a 3 minute clip is stupid, but don't we all review trailers in the theater after we see them?



Could there be a more perfect introduction to Robert Downey Jr's Sherlock Holmes. His hair is a mess, he is smoking on a pipe and he looks just a bit odd and then he jumps out of a window. This is clearly not my parents' Sherlock Holmes. This trailer of Guy Ritchie's version of Sherlock Holmes, is exactly how I pictured Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes looking. Jude Law appears to be perfect for Watson, and having Rachel McAdams in it does not hurt and Mark Strong is the perfect villain. The trailer packs great action, and a few laughs while not giving everything away and the tag at the end is wonderful. I am interested in the supernatural aspect of someone rising from the dead, but that does not take away from the fun of the whole thing. I know people do not think this looks like Sherlock Holmes, but in the original stories, Holmes was not afraid to get down and dirty and this movie is even playing down the drug addiction to get the PG-13 rating. Sherlock Holmes has an Indiana Jones quality that is missing from a lot of action/adventure movies and I think it is a welcome aspect. I really cannot wait for December.



It may be wrong for me to include this trailer because I am not at all being targeted for this movie, but it is a big movie event and the trailer did get a huge premiere event at the MTV Movie Awards, so I am going to review it anyway. I do want to say that the trailer does an incredible job of appealing to the audience it is after. Opening the trailer with Bella whisper begging for a kiss is a sure way to hook all of those romantically challenged girls who love this shit. I, of course, do not have much of an interest, but I do have a question after watching the trailer. If Bella would have been killed in the first movie without Edward helping her, why would he leave her to fend for herself? It was noted in the first movie that Bella has a certain scent that drives vampires batty, so one would think that Edward would need to stay to protect her. It comes off like a silly plot device to bring Jacob and Bella together. The effects do look better in this movie and I do like werewolves and I like that the actor playing Jacob did everything he could to keep his role. The third movie is being directed by someone I love, so I will probably see this because I will go watch the third one, but the trailer does not make me very interested.



Hey, it is Chicago 2! Rob Marshall, you do not fool me, I know a sequel when I see it. As far as trailers go, this is pretty weak, if you ask me. I need to know if the people involved can sing and Fergie is the only one singing, but she is a singer, we know she sings! There are some nice images, and I like how it opens on essentially a blackout with a single spotlight, and Daniel Day Lewis would not have signed on if the script was weak, but this trailer does absolutely nothing for me. It stars a few females that most of the world thinks are hot, but that often times do nothing for me, but Judi Dench does have some lines lines, the only lines, in fact. I know this is a teaser trailer, but give me something that does not make me think I am watching Chicago with different actors! BLEH!


I was looking for movies that were a bit down the line, so I avoided summer releases. If people seem to enjoy this, I might throw it in the Wednesday rotation once a month or something.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love trailers! Great addition!

Taylor