Sunday, June 28, 2009

My favorite movies to watch with my dad

Alright, I know I am a week late with this, but last week I was having issues with blogger. It kept showing that I did not have a blog and it took me until Thursday to realize it was because I was signed in with a different e-mail. Annoying, yes, but I am back. This was supposed to coincide with Father's day, so just pretend for a little while. These are in order and to make it on this list, I have had to watch the movie with my dad on more than one occasion.

10. Monsters, Inc.- My dad loves going to watch animated movies, even though we do not have any young children anymore, but we are both in agreement that this is among the best. Every time we watch it, we start thinking of how awesome the Disneyland ride for this movie could be, because of the awesome chase. My father loves Billy Crystal and I think this is some of the Crystal's best work. It is not a movie we pull out to watch on a regular basis, but it is a movie that comes up quite a bit as a favorite of ours in the animated department.

9. Toy Story- This is the number 1 movie talked about in relation to animated movies. I think this movie makes my dad feel like a kid again as he always talks about his own toys when we watch it. He loves movies with messages about friendship and very few movies bring that message home as clearly as Toy Story. I think my dad likes the army men best, or at least those are the toys he most talks about after watching this movie. It gives some interesting insight to my father's childhood, something I do not get often.

8. The Grinch (Live action)- Okay, I know most people loathe this movie, and I can live with that, but this movie cracks me up and it cracks my dad up. The first time we saw this we were in a pretty full auditorium and for the most part people were unresponsive. Well you know me and my laugh and while my father does not have loud or distinct a laugh, if you get him going, he can bring it. There are two moments that just killed us both and we can still talk about how we were the only two laughing and how fun it was for us. Those two moments were when the Grinch was pretending to be The Hulk and when he was impersonating Ron Howard. I am pretty sure purists of the story would hate it, but that was some pretty funny stuff and this movie remains a movie we can watch and have a great time doing so.

7. Remember the Titans- I can admit this is less for the movie than for the conversations it stirs. I love listening to people who were raised during the civil rights era and my dad is among those people and so he has stories about what was going on during the times and he actually remembers this real story catching national attention. I like the movie and my dad loves the movie, but I love listening to my dad talk about the cultural landscape of that time period, as he was growing up in it, even though in California he did not see a lot of the negativity, he did hear about all of it as it was happening. Plus, we both love Denzel.

6. Tuesdays with Morrie- I would never have touched this book until my dad told me I had to read it. We had missed the movie on television, so we watched it on DVD and it remains the only movie during which I have seen my father cry. Whereas I am kind of easily choked up in movies, my dad remains pretty stoic, but this movie does get him and it was nice to share that moment with him. It is easy to see why one would cry during the movie, but it is more than the crying. My dad grew up loving Jack Lemmon and this adds an element to the film for us. It is a fantastic made for television movie, a fantastic book and a fantastic bonding experience between my father and I.

5. Galaxy Quest- If you have not seen this movie, do it, now. It is a straight up hilarious comedy and brings my father and I to all out laughter. Actually, my whole family loves this movie and when we watched it for the first time on Christmas day, there were times when you could hear nothing but the laughter from my father and I. We have very similar sense of humor and we are both not afraid to laugh at things, even if we are the only two laughing. Guy is our favorite character, but the whole thing is just classic Hadley family comedy. It gets talked about often when our family gets together and ranks towards the top of our Christmas day movie watching list.

4. Rudy- The classic Kyle and Tom Hadley sports movie. It is inspirational and a good sports movie. If you love sports and do not love this movie, something is wrong with you. This is that movie I have to watch if it is on television and if my dad is home he will often sit down and watch it with me. Many Saturday afternoons have been spent with us watching and loving this movie. The underdog story always plays well in our house and this one is tops. My dad does not watch a lot of television these days, but I can count on him to watch this with me.

3. The Man who knew too Little- This is a pretty obscure pick, but it is a classic around our household. My mom loathes it, but my dad, brother and I absolutely love it. Bill Murray is super dry and super hilarious in a movie of mistaken identity. The comedy is very awkward and I doubt very many people love it, but we used to rent it almost monthly to sit and laugh. My mom never watches it, but she can hear us all laughing no matter where she is in the house. My dad used to love watching Murray on SNL and it is funny to listen to him relive his favorite sketches after watching this movie. It reminds me that there was a time when young people used to make SNL appointment television.

2. Field of Dreams- Not at all shocking, I know, but baseball and my dad go together like bread and butter. Most of my great memories of childhood come from baseball and my dad and I still do most of our bonding over a baseball game. So, a movie where a guy builds a baseball diamond just to play catch with his dead father, is right up our alley. It is the best sports movie, if you ask me, but it is more than just sports. It is about family, faith and commitment. It believes in the power of baseball to transport people to a simpler time. It has great quotes and and one of the best monologues about baseball you could ever hear. It has been a while since we have watched it, but I know it will always be a classic in my life and in the life of my father.

1. O Brother, Where Art Thou- I have never known my dad to see a movie more than twice in a movie theater and this he saw, 3 or 4 times and then on video we have seen this countless times. Our experience watching this movie is so great, we went to the concert where all the artists featured on the soundtrack sang the songs from the movie and more. It is all the more impressive when you realize I hate country music and it was all country and bluegrass. The movie is absolutely hilarious and finds itself quoted in our house to this day. If we bring it up, laughter ensues without hesitation. I know when he was younger, my dad's favorite movie was Sleeper, but I feel pretty confident that this is his favorite movie now. I cannot even begin to guess how many times we have watched it, and we still laugh every time.

Movies have been a part of my life forever, and my father is a big reason for that. We have movie going traditions every Thanksgiving and Christmas, and there was a time when my dad would rent a movie every Saturday night and whoever was home would watch it. I still love going to watch movies with my dad and cannot imagine a time when that won't happen on a semi regular basis.

No comments: