Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The X-Files: A retrospective

As most of you know by now, my summer project was to watch the entire X-Files series before the movie came out. The time has now officially passed, and I did it! In 60 days I watched 201 episodes. Well, I actually watched 195 episodes. I missed 4 episodes due to disc mix-ups from Netflix and I skipped two episodes. I skipped one because I refuse to watch anything with Kathy Griffin in it and I skipped another one because creepy dolls terrify me and I just couldn't get passed the opening scene. But, I did it. Maybe it is not something to be crazy happy about because there are people who are looking for a cure for cancer and stuff, yet I am thrilled. I watched the show a little bit when it was on the air because my best friend in high school was obsessed, but I never really paid attention.

It starts with a very simple premise: two FBI agents look into unexplained phenomena. Fox Mulder was a brilliant FBI profiler whose need to find out the truth behind his sister's possible alien abduction outweighs everything else. Dana Scully was a doctor who left medicine behind to become an FBI agents. She was put on the X-Files to debunk Mulder, but instead, she just grounded him, she helped him with her science and her medicine. Together they worked for 7 years together to find the truth.

There were two kinds of X-Files episodes- the mythology episodes and the monster of the week(MOTW) episodes. The Mythology episodes involved the possible conspiracy between higher government officials and aliens. Mulder and Scully were usually on the short end of the stick in these episodes and they were even both abducted in different seasons. Mulder's undying quest for the truth, led to a lot of death and even more frustration. They usually had somewhere between 6-8 mythology episodes per season, usually each story taking two or three episodes to complete. These mythology episodes featured reoccurring characters like The Smoking Man, Alex Krycek. Mr. X and Deep Throat. At times they were the best episodes and at times they were the worst episodes. In seasons 1-4 I was always anxiously awaiting them, but then in seasons 5 and 6 they started to feel a bit stale and hard to keep track of. In season 7, they took an odd turn as many of the conspirators were killed in season 6. These episodes always offered an interesting perspective on alien life and offered a lot of really cool visuals, although the shape shifting alien bounty hunter and Alex Krycek started to feel more like they were a crutch than a help to the series.

In between these episodes were the MOTW episodes. They could be hilarious (Mulder and Scully posing as a rich married couple) trippy (plants that trapped you and made you believe you were living another life) creepy (inbreeders) or just down right scary (anything to do with the occult). During that time we saw vampires, shape shifters, A.I, witches, demons, a devil and all sorts of other things. Sometimes the stories were specifically about vampires, but sometimes the stories were more like allegories, or were there to pose a question. The X-Files touched on the dangers of plastic surgery, the problems of computer technology and even illegal aliens. Often times it felt ahead of its time. All of the while keeping a pretty good sense of humor about it. It was a landmark show that showcased great acting, writing, directing and featured that classic theme song. David Duchovney wrote and directed a few episodes, Gillian Anderson wrote and directed a gorgeous episode and even The Smoking man got to write an episode where we learn that the Smoking man killed JFK and Martin Luther King Jr.

The show took a turn in seasons 8 and 9 because Anderson wanted a lighter load and Duchovney wanted out, but Fox was not ready to end the show. Robert Patrick was brought in as Agent Doggett and the sexy Annabeth Gish was brought in as Agent Reyes. In season 8, Doggett was partnered with Scully in the search for the now abducted Mulder and the entire series shifted. After two seasons of trying the new thing, the show was cancelled. Season 9 ended in an absolutely horrid series finale. It was a two hour episode that did little to help the series as the first 45 minutes was essentially clip show and the final half was just kind of off the wall with all of the dead characters coming back in Mulder's mind.

I want to talk a little bit about seasons 8 and 9. Overall, I actually really enjoyed them, because of Patrick's amazing Doggett. He got a bum rap because he was replacing Fox Mulder, but Doggett was a great character and the team of the skeptic Doggett and the in-touch-with-the-spiritual Reyes led to some great episodes. The two actors had a great chemistry, if a very different one from Mulder and Scully. I was never sure I wanted to see Mulder and Scully get together, but Doggett and Reyes had such heat between them, I was dying to watch them get together. If anything, the continued inclusion of Scully lessened season 9. It was obvious Anderson had checked out, and every time they brought her on, it brought down the episodes. I am not saying I wish the show had continued in that way, but if Carter had written another show for Doggett and Reyes I surely would be watching it this very second.

Even though the show ended on sour note, I am glad to have watched it and I feel better for having done it. It seems weird, but I think I am more open to paranormal phenomena because of The X-Files. I now better understand where shows like Buffy and Lost come from. The X-Files was monumental for so many years and it is nice to be able to relive those on DVD. Will I eventually get a collectors set of the show so I can rewatch my favorite episodes, hell yes I will!

What follows is a list of my 10 favorite non-mythology episodes:

10. Ice- It was in season 1 and featured Felicity Huffman. It was a very intense episode and was the first episode that really grabbed me.

9. Darkness Falls- Also in season 1. It was another of the more creepy episodes and had really strong visuals.

8. Irresistible- It was a case that wasn't an X-File which made the whole thing really disgusting. It is in season 2

7. Jon Doe- Agent Doggett has no memory and it is Mexico. It is incredible. season 9.

6. D.P.O- Jack Black and Giovanni Ribisi star here and the episode in deliciously fun episode. It is in season 3.

5. Leonard Betts- A guy dies, but keeps reappearing. The shot of him coming out of the tub while his skin is still reattaching itself is worth it. Gross! Season 4.

4. The Rain King- This episode is more funny than anything else. It also features a cute romance, not with Mulder and Scully. Season 6.

3. Patience- Doggett's first official X-File case is tracking a bat person. This episode really endeared Doggett to me. Season 8.

2. Arcadia- The funniest episode by far sees Scully and Mulder going undercover as a wealthy married couple. Also, the monster is just ugly looking. Season 6.

1. Monday- A woman is reliving a day where Mulder is killed every day. It is a brilliant piece of television. Season 6.

2 comments:

mrsdoggett said...

That was a great review! Felt the same way about Doggett/Reyes. I couldn't have said it any better! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. Robert Patrick and Annabeth Gish were magic together.

Robin
(A Dogg Person)