Monday, January 29, 2007

Legally Blonde: The Musical.

A musical based on a movie about a peppy blonde girl who takes Harvard law school should not work. I repeat it should not work. Of course, the movie should not have worked either, but it did. And it would not have worked without Reese Witherspoon. Just like I am not sure how well this musical succeeds without a stellar lead female. Luckily Laura Bell Bundy is exactly that. Now I do not claim to be the most knowledgeable in terms of Broadway performers, so I have no idea who this girl is, but she is phenomenal in the role of Elle Woods. She is just perky enough without being nauseating, her voice fills the theater, her dancing is top notch and her acting turns what should be just a silly show into something much more. A show with song titles like “Omigod you Guys” and “Bend and Snap” does not really deserve to also be a great show but somehow it is. I mean it really is.


I have never had more fun watching live theater than I did during the fantastic number “What you want” early in the show. The number incorporates flashy costumes, flags, banners, hip-hop dancing, amazing lights, incredible vocals and an overall joy that almost brought the audience out of their chairs. The same could be said for the second act opening, jump rope workout inspired number “Whipped into Shape”. It doesn’t hurt that the girl leading that number (Nikki Snelson) has a stomach to die for, but to hear her belt out the end of the number having just jump roped for a few minutes is a true testament of skill and talent. The show utilizes all kinds of amazing choreography, lighting, costumes, voices and an overall high energy to turn this thing into a high octane spectacle and it works so well you are willing to forgive the terrible songs like “Blood in the water” and the beginning of the song “Legally Blonde”. “Legally Blonde” hits its groove in the reprise where Vivienne (Kate Shindle) blows the doors off the theater with her power house pipes.


I am not going to lie, I expected nothing coming in and when I left I was singing “Omigod you guys” over and over. I am not sure if this show will succeed but I know if they can find more actors, singers and dancers like the one filling this cast, it may have a shot. The thing that most took me by surprise in this show was the comic timing. Richard H. Blake, who plays Elle’s ex-boyfriend, has this song early on called “Serious” and his timing in the comic realm in flawless and it doesn’t hurt that his voice soars. Christian Borle who plays Emmett, the guy Elle falls for, captures a hard edge demeanor but manages to play up the romance effortlessly and even manages to outshine his female counter part for a brief second on the song “Chip on my shoulder.” I know I am leaving out the nearly brilliant “Greek Chorus" but some of this should be left to people who actually see the show. If I had one complaint it would be the Professor, played by Michael Rupert. He had a problem getting his words out loud enough and was just overall outmatched by the rest of the young vivacious cast.


The show is not perfect and for the most part it is a prime example of style over substance, but for two and a half hours it did not seem to matter one bit. From the opening number until the end of curtain call I bought all of it. No, it doesn’t hurt that the cast is made up of mostly hot girls prancing around in skirts, but it was more than that. The show was fun, light and energetic and often times that is enough. It is good to sometimes just sit back, laugh, holler and cheer for the underdog you know is going to succeed when it is all said and done.

No comments: