Monday, January 01, 2007

The Devil wears Prada

I am not going to lie, something inside me is starting to believe I am a bit of a woman with my movie rental choices lately, because here is yet another movie of the female gender. Honestly though I went to rent something else but they were all out of it and it became decision between this and John Tucker Must Die. This won out and I guess I am glad about it. I say, I guess, because there was nothing outwardly spectacular about it and a few hours after watching it, I can’t say I remember a whole lot about what I saw. I do remember not hating it, but enjoying the front half much better than the back half. The story is a fairly typical “fish out of water, trying to fit in and in the process loses herself and her loved ones” story starring Anne Hathaway as a young writer thrown into a job at a fashion magazine as the personal assistant to the editor played vivaciously by Meryl Streep. I am not a big fan of Meryl’s but that is mostly due to the fact that her movies look boring beyond all belief and Hathaway is slowly making her way beyond being a clumsy Disney princess.


The first half of the movie is fairly light hearted and features some pretty good banter, mostly being said by the delightfully snooty Emily Blunt, who has done nothing of merit before this movie, and Stanley Tucci as hilariously catty accessories guru for the magazine. All of the acting is fine except at times it feels as if Hathaway is over reaching just a bit for that awkwardness and of course the clothes are amazing but there is just something missing for me. I think part of it is that whole basic plot point and after basic plot thing whether it is the main girl gets caught up in work and misses her boyfriend’s birthday, or the eventual winning over her boss thing, it all just feels so “been there, done that”. Granted, I am sure I am not the target audience for this bad boy, but it is too bad it is so entirely formulaic. I mean, even the wannabe “inspirational” speeches come off cheesy, which could all very well be because they are all about how fashion matters greatly to the world and I happen to not believe such insanity. If you want to see a movie with great clothes and that sends a message that you have to be super thin to look good, then by all means enjoy away. I however, would not partake in applauding a girl going from thin to overly thin, but maybe that is just me. Oh on a little side note, I cannot recal the name Prada coming up in this movie ever, which is kind of funny that it is in the title yet never mentioned in the film itself.

No comments: