Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Save the last dance 2 (spoilers, I guess)

When I first turn on the television the first channel I look at is MTV. It is an age old habit and seems unbreakable, so yesterday when I turned it on I saw a gorgeous blonde talking about her love of dance. I figured it was the beginning of my newest guilty pleasure (dancelife) but as I continued to view, I realized it was looking a lot like a movie and more specifically, it looked like it was explaining “Save the Last Dance.” I was sick, had no movies to rent and had no netflix DVDs, so I decided to see what this was. It turned out to be the sequel to the above mentioned movie. This movie takes place where the classic original finished. Sarah Johnson, now played by a gorgeous polish actress named Izabella Miko is getting ready to start a Julliard and meets a new black man played by rising star Columbus Short. Columbus is guest lecturing during our lead character’s “Hip Hop Theory” class. Yes, allow yourself to believe Julliard has such a class. We learn that she broke up with her old black man, which makes new black man very happy. Right off the bat Sarah realizes ballet at Julliard is much tougher than she imagined, so she brushes off new black man’s advances and puts away her air force ones, focusing solely on the art of ballet.


Are you still with me? Yes, it is an incredibly basic story and I have to be honest, the major plot twist happened while I was on the phone with Erik, so I am still not sure what lie new black man told Sarah to make her so upset she turns her back on him. See, he is a musician as well and has a chance to get noticed by Vibe magazine, if she will help him choreograph some hot hip-hop dances. She says ok until he does a bad bad thing and she leaves him out to dry. Oh, she also gets the lead in the Julliard ballet when the lead goes down with an ankle injury.. She performs the ballet, a one night engagement apparently, but feels unfulfilled because she misses her puma suits and adidas shell tops. She misses the heart pounding beats and rhythms pumping through her veins when she is pop and locking. I wanted to hate this movie with every fiber of my being. I mean who could like a movie where the new black guy stops right before having sex to record her heart beat, which comes back later in the movie, but I didn’t hate it. I didn’t like it, but I didn’t hate it. I am sure some of it had to do with the incredible looks of Miss Miko and other parts of it were probably due to the fact that I love hip-hop. Either way, I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone who doesn’t like dancing or is looking for something deep in their movies, but if you want to stare at a hot blonde dancing like a hot black girl, go for it!

No comments: