Monday, July 24, 2006

The Wedding Singer(Broadway cast recording) CD review

After seeing one song performed at the Tony awards I decided I wanted this for my birthday. Well my birthday came yesterday and to my delight I received the CD! Of course the first problem right off the bat is the music is different from the movie. See, if you asked me to name the ten funniest movies according to me, The Wedding Singer would be on that list. It is easily the best Adam Sandler movie and part of the reason was the music. Every song in the film perfectly captured the time period. The Broadway show does not have that luxury, which is unfortunate but not a deal breaker.


When the music is replacing music from the movie: "Casualty of Love" in place of "Love Stinks" and George's Prayer in place of the culture club hit, it fails pretty miserably. "Casualty of Love" on its own isn't terrible, but it lacks the punch 'Love stinks" packed. Also, it feels like the acting is terrible , which means I probably won't ever really want to see the show in person, but this is a soundtrack so it isn't really about the acting. As for the music, I LOVE it. Well most of it. It captures that 1980's party, no care kind of vibe and the songs also suit the characters perfectly. When Linda sings "Let me come home" those raw rock guitars are reminiscent of Pat Benetar or of an 80's hair band. A group Linda would obviously like to have sex with.


They kept the two most important songs from the movie. The songs written for the movie. "Somebody Kill me" lacks the power Adam Sandler used, which is weird because I love Steven Lynch and this seems like his kind of song. He hits the tender "Grow old with you" perfectly and the added female vocals are terrific. In fact vocally this CD is nearly flawless. I love all of the voices and no one seems to be pushing or struggling.


The three standout tracks to me are "Not that kind of thing", "Saturday night in the city" and my personal favorite "its all about the green." That song makes me desire to play Glen, just to get the chance to sing it. It is my new "great big stuff", which was my favorite song from Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. I have heard the script is terrible which is a shame because the movie features some of my favorite lines ever, however it is hard to deny the pure joy and poppy appeal of "It's your wedding day." It certainly seems to have a big replay value, which is pretty much all I want in a Broadway CD. So I am glad I got this!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE WEDDING SINGER! you are totally right... its just FUN! i wont go into my fave songs.... i would love to be Robbie one day...