Sunday, August 23, 2009

Previewing 2009's fall television

For me, Fall is not the best time for television, but it lends itself to me watching new shows because Lost, 24, Friday Night Lights, Chuck and American Idol do not reappear until Spring. Taylor asked about the new shows, so I thought I would give two separate lists. The lists will be of 5 shows I will definitely be watching and 5 that I might check out.

The 5 shows I will be checking for

5. Cougar Town- ABC Wed. @ 9:30- I do not know much about this show except it is created by Bill Lawrence, who created Scrubs and it stars Courtney Cox, who was hilarious in her two episode Scrubs arc. I know what a cougar is, so I am assuming it is about Courtney getting back into the dating pool and dating young men. She is hot, so it should work.

4. Modern Family- ABC Wed. @ 9:00- The critics all seem to be raving about this one right now. It is another single camera sitcom similar to The Office, but it follows three families, all very different, that live next to each other. Ed O'Neil back on television is always good and having him playing someone who has married a sexy younger girl feels like we are watching an Al Bundy dream. There is also a gay couple who have a newborn, that is supposed to be very funny.

3. Community- NBC Thurs. @ 9:30 for a few weeks, then 8:00- All I really need to know is that Joel McHale is in it. That is enough to sell me, but you add Chevy Chase and have the show set in a Community College and I am 100% sold. I have not seen any clips or anything, but I have read some early reviews and they are pretty positive. I am happy to see Joel McHale getting bigger, because he is really super funny. Oh snap, Ken Jeong is also in this show! This should be hilarious.

2. Flash Forward- ABC Thurs. @ 8:00- Some say this is ABC's attempt to replace Lost. Joseph Fiennes and John Cho topline this show about what would happen if the entire world blacked out for a period of time and in that blackout everyone saw 5 years into their own future. It was being helmed by David S. Goyer, who wrote versions of the new Batman movie scripts and the clips I have seen look pretty interesting. Serialized shows are difficult, because of the fear of a show being cancelled, but ABC has a lot riding on this show and are pumping it up pretty well. I am very excited for it.

1. Glee- FOX Wed. 9:00- With the series premiere already behind us due to Fox's crazy excitement over this show, it is easy to know what this show is. The series premiere was fun and interesting and I am pretty sure this one will succeed. The cast is wonderful and they have a good line up of guest stars coming in. The big draw is the music and in the first episode it did not disappoint. Fox is going to release albums of the music, so the show will definitely be making money. I think this is a sure fire winner and I am excited that will be on in less than a month.

5 shows I might check out (in no real order)

Vampire Diaries- The CW Thurs. @ 8:00- I like vampires and it happens to be on right before Supernatural, so I might just combo these bad boys for a little while. I do not know much about the show, but they were promoting the hell out of it in Los Angeles when I was down there, so they are excited about it. Vampires are hot right now and maybe this will end up being an over saturation of it, but we shall see. It is a show about pretty young people, which is a guilty pleasure of mine.

Melrose Place- The CW Tues. @ 9:00- I did not stick with 90210 last season and I do not see myself actually making it through an entire season of this show, but with many of the original cast members coming back and a few really hot girls on the show, I will most likely give it a shot. The original was supposed to be an older version fo the original 90210, but this seems like kind of the same thing as 90210, so I doubt it will be worth watching for long, but we shall see.

Trauma- NBC Mon. @ 9:00- I do not watch any procedurals, but the previews this are pretty exciting and I like Derek Luke as an actor. The show follows a trauma team of paramedics, I think. Maybe it is entire trauma team, including cops and all that good stuff, I don't know. What I do know is there are a lot of explosions and even a helicopter crash, so I am in for a little while until the procedural stuff gets too boring as it always does.

Three Rivers- CBS Sun. @ 9:00 (which is always 8:00 here)-A doctor procedural that focuses on organ transplants sounds promising. The cast is strong- Alex O' Loughlin, Alfree Woodard, Katherine Moening and Julia Ormond- and CBS does procedurals very well, so it could be worth checking out on Sunday nights after Football. We shall see.

The Forgotten- ABC Tues- @ 10:00- Christian Slater is the star of this show and that is the only reason I will check it out. I like him and I wanted his show last season to succeed. It is another procedural, and I do not have a lot of patience for the same thing over and over again, but I love Slater and Michelle Borth is super hot.

And finally the returning shows that will be prominently featured in my Sunday television recaps:

How I met your Mother
Big Bang Theory
So you think you can Dance
Supernatural
The Office
Grey's Anatomy
Dollhouse
Dexter
Californication

1 comment:

Taylor said...

I was on the fence about Flash Forward, but I guess I have to give it a shot, now! Definitely excited about the ABC comedies (did I actually just say that?!) and Glee.