Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Repo! The Genetic Opera

In the future, some weird disease has caused mass organ failure. GeneCo comes along and organ transplants become common place. They also legalize a very effective and addictive pain killer that can be stolen on the streets from the dead bodies that litter the future. GeneCo offers payment plans so you can save your life. However, if you do not keep up your payments, they can legally kill you by sending in The Repo Man to repossess your organs. Oh and it is all sung. Oh and it has Paris Hilton and Paul Sorvino in scenes together.

Mixing Sweeney Todd, violent comic books, Rock Horror Picture show, and Saw probably sounded like a good idea to some people at some point. it must have for this stage show to be turned into a movie. At some point someone finished doing a line of coke off of a midget's ass and said "Paul Sorvino as Paris Hilton's father. Make it HAPPEN!" There was a moment when someone thought casting Sarah Brightman as the blind Opera singer in this disaster would give the project a sense of gravitas. Some producer thought it would be funny for Paris Hilton to lose her face. I guess they forgot that in House of Wax Paris Hilton was impaled through the skull, which is much much cooler. Somewhere someone has incriminating photos of Anthony Stewart Head(Giles in Buffy, for God sake!) and forced him to lend his unbelievable talents to something that was destined to be a travesty against film, opera and surgery.

I have always maintained that when you try hard to look or be cool, you fail. Coolness is just something that happens. I believe the same can be said for movie of the "Cult Classic" genre. When you try too hard to give yourself cult classic status, you usually fall flat on your face. This is one of those times. Ed Wood never set out to make Plan 9 a cult classic, it just happened. That is how the world works. By putting Paul Sorvino as some warbling, talk singing maniac, you do not assure yourself cult classic status. Repo! is missing that key factor. It is missing that special something to be a classic in some sense. Repo! is the kind of movie I hope to forget very soon. I cannot even be coaxed into purchasing the soundtrack when the movie was over. There was farrrrr too much talk singing. I think if you have music going and you talk your dialog in a kind of rhythm, that does not make it an opera.

Final words: Robbie Blake, screw you for subjecting me to this nonsense.

Final grade: F

1 comment:

Rob said...

Okay, Kyle. I said you would NOT like this movie. Do not put blame on me for you seeing this. I said, "You know, I dug it. However, I think you would hate it Kyle."

True words. I think it is a fun film with an interesting concept and Head is awesome in the lead role.

I know why you hate it, but I think it is really fun.