Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Mall Cop, Notorious, The Unborn, The Reader, My Bloody Valentine

So, I kind of lost my interest in this for a little bit, but I think I am ready to go back to it, but I am not really going to go back and review everything I have seen since I last wrote a review, so I am going to do a few shorter reviews here.

Paul Blart: Mall Cop

I enjoy Kevin James as a stand up comedian and this movie is was a shot for him to become a big screen comedian. He mostly pulls it off in regards to being a safe contrast to the R-rated comedies so prevalent these days. The movie takes a little while to get going, but it has enough laughs and even a nice explosion to keep it interesting. I enjoyed the two plot twists as I did not see them coming and James shows he can carry a movie with his nice guy gimmick.

Notorious

There was always something about The Notorious B.I.G that did it for me. The man was so smooth on stage and his verbal gymnastics were spectacular. I am surprised a movie about him got made, but I am glad it did. It will not change anyone's mind about rap music or even on the man himself, but for fans it was a nice tribute to man I grew to really admire in some way. He was so sure of himself in his songs, but he always had a hint of sadness and his stories were at times hilarious and then violent and sometimes even both. The movie does him justice, even if they missed some key moments.

The Unborn
I walked out an hour in, which says a lot because I even sat through every Saw movie. This is another addition to the PG-13 ghost story genre, but this movie weaves Nazi mythology, pagan mythology and an incredibly sexy girl. What I did love about the movie was that it would have a scene that made no sense and before you could realize it, they would give you a scene with the sexy girl in the shower. Note to all makers of movies that make no sense: More hot girl in shower scenes will cure your problems.

The Reader

I should have done a full review of this because I am still thinking about the movie, but it requires a dialogue not a review. The performances are very strong and I love movies full of moral ambiguities. The story spans decades and the framing device SUCKS, but other than that, it is a very good movie. Plus, there is a section full of naked Kate Winslett which is never a bad thing.

My Bloody Valentine

It is hard to fault a movie that marketed itself as this kind of throw back campy slasher flick. Well, it would be hard to fault it if it followed its own marketing. Sadly, the movie took itself entirely too seriously minus a scene that follows a fully nude girl running and hiding from the killer. That was meant to be funny, but the rest was too serious. The 3D aspects offered a killer jump and a few smaller jumps, but I think I was hoping it would just be more fun. I enjoyed the twist at the end, but mostly because the people around me could not figure out what was going on and that amused me.

No comments: