Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Grandma's boy

After a full week of listening to my co-worker tell me I needed to watch this movie, I gave in. He bought it and forced me to borrow it. This is a movie about a pot smoking, video game tester, who is 35 years old and is a slacker. This seems to be pretty common fare for movies these day, especially coming from the ever annoying Adam Sandler camp. The movie has high and horny old women, a monkey that knows karate, a guy who thinks he is a robot and plenty of video games and nerdy virgins. Oh and it is not at all funny!


I had hoped that at least I would get about 4 good laughs out of this abomination of a movie, but I managed 2 real laughs and 4 chuckles. Of course, the lead girl is a hot girl who loves video games and also does Kareoke to Salt & Pepa (the highlight of the movie). Kevin Nealon, Duece Bigelow and David Spade all make incredibly embarrassing cameos and not a single person comes out of this movie unscathed.


The movie was written by one of Adam Sandler's flunkies and stand up comedian Nick Swardson and it shows an absolute lack of putting together a movie. This is actually a problem with a lot of comedies lately. They are SNL sketches that just keep going and going. Look at Nacho Libre or the upcoming Will Ferrell suckfest. They are all thin thin movies hoping to bank on the fact that the audience just expects their stars to be funny and therefore laugh at everything, which isn't saying much for the people watching movies!

No comments: