Monday, March 08, 2010

The Oscars

I am not entirely sure what the best way to talk about the Oscars would be. Would reviewing the show be the right way to go, or just talk about the winners and how I feel about them? Ultimately, I thought I would kind of combine those two ideas. First off, I want to talk about the winners of some of the major categories and briefly mention who I thought should have won and why. Then, I will give a few thoughts on the show in general.

Best Supporting Actor:
To be fair, I have only seen two of these performances but I doubt I would change my mind if I had seen the other 3. Christoph Waltz was a revelation. The twinkle in his eye in every scene and the pure menace in his performance is beyond incredible. There is no one that even holds a candle to him this year in terms of a supporting role.

I am skipping Best Supporting actress because I did not see the winning performance and so I cannot compare the others to it, but Monique's acceptance speech was obnoxious, just like she is, so it was fitting.

Best Original screenplay:
I am kind of torn on this because (500) Days of Summer was not even nominated, but I have no problem with The Hurt Locker winning. I do think Inglorious Basterds not winning is kind of lame because that script had so many astonishing elements to it, but The the script for The Hurt Locker is tight, intense and just the right amount of bare bones to let the actors and director really work. Ultimately, I would have voted on Inglorious Basterds, if for no other reason than having the balls to re-write history.

Adapted Screenplay:
Precious won and the guy who won got up and gave a heartfelt, if too blubbery speech, and that is nice, but in a category that included the brilliant Up in the Air screenplay, the scathingly funny In the Loop screenplay and the eloquently beautiful An Education screenplay, I just do not understand Precious. Granted, I have not seen the film, nor do I have a single bit of desire to see it, but Up in the Air stole my heart and I think it deserved to win. Jason Reitman will get his due eventually, and I really thought it would be this year.

Best Actor:
Jeff Bridges won and that is nice for him. I truly do not get his victory. I saw the movie and was not as impressed as I expected to be. George Clooney or Jeremy Renner really deserved this award. Bridges was fine, but he did not get me going the way the other two guys did. If I had to pick, I would have given the award to Clooney. Just because a guy makes it look effortless does not mean he is not working hard. His performance fits like your favorite suit and he just lives in that role. Watching his transition in the film makes the movie that much more heart breaking.

Best Actress:
Just like best actor, I am happy for Sandra Bullock because I like her. She is charming, affable and has been working hard. Of course, none of this means she deserves the award, because she does not. Sure, she was good and believable. I would even go as far as to say she did solid work, but solid is not enough. Carey Mulligan's star making turn in An Education takes a pretty good movie and turns it into a wonderful movie. She is fierce while being naive, and she grows in every minute of the movie. I am sure Mulligan will be back on the Oscar stage, but she really did deserve it this year.

Best Director:
This is another one where I was kind of torn. Katherine Bigelow (How hot is she???) directed the hell out of The Hurt Locker. There is no denying her influence made that movie one of the most gripping and intense movie watching experiences I have had in years. However, Tarantino created a masterpiece. I think when it is all said and done, I would have voted for Tarantino. Yes, Tarantino is the biggest star of his movies, but "Basterds" is just ridiculous in every way and Tarantino is responsible for that.

Best Picture:
First off, let me say that Avatar, The Blind Side, Serious Man and District 9 had absolutely no business being nominated. I cannot speak for Precious as it is the only one I did not see, but Where the Wild Things Are should have been nominated. Aside from that, I cannot complain about The Hurt Locker winning. It was one of the best of movies of the year easily and I like that a small picture won and is was basically deserved. For me, Inglorious Basterds was the most deserving. It had all of the elements of what makes a movie "The Best Picture." Again, this is not a complaint about The Hurt Locker winning. I am perfectly content with it winning and I was happy it won. However, part of me was just excited to see Avatar lose. 2009 was a phenomenal year for movies and The Hurt Locker does a great job of being the ambassador of 2009 movies for future generations of movie lovers who go back and watch winners.

General thoughts on the show:

Any show that opens with Neil Patrick Harris in a sparkly tuxedo jacket singing a song, is pretty much gold in my book. Yes, I openly swooned when I saw his beautiful face on my television.

Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin were kind of hit and miss in their opening, but Martin referencing his start as "a poor black child" made me laugh. The Clooney bit and all Avatar jokes tanked. I was hoping for a little more Meryl Streep ribbing.

Ben Stiller did not look happy doing the Avatar bit. Sacha Baron Cohen was originally supposed to do it, but he dropped out. For Cohen this bit would have been a step up.

Christoph Waltz had my favorite acceptance speech and Robert Downey Jr and Tina Fey were my favorite presenters.

The street dancing was cool enough, but I did not love it.

The Paranormal Activity spoof was really funny as was the Snuggie/Slanket bit.

Tyler Perry was at the Oscars and no one punched him. That is a shame. Someone should punch that man and soon.

Kristen Stewart and Taylor Lautner have absolutely no charisma whatsoever.

I loved the John Hughes tribute, but How cool would it have been if the actors recreated some of the lip-syncing moments from his movies on stage? Matthew Broderick doing "Do you love me" or Jon Cryer doing "Try a Little Tenderness" would have been amazing!

I had a good time watching the show, and I love Martin and Baldwin, but I prefer more of a showman as the host.

OOOHHH Final note: Avatar won for best Cinematography. How a movie that is all computer generated wins that award is beyond me! Did the voters not see Inglorious Basterds?? I mean, SERIOUSLY!!

2 comments:

Rob said...

I just saw this. I will disagree with you about the movies that you said shouldn't have been nominated for best picture. "District 9" "Serious Man" and "Avatar" I feel totally deserved the nomination. Not going to talk about the reasons with Avatar because you'll never see them. However, District 9 builds a world fluidly and easily. It's narrative structure is brilliant and the fact that it was handled without any notice at all is amazing. Not only that, but you cared for those aliens at the end and they looked hideous, unlike "Avatar." Also, "A Serious Man" is a brilliant movie that plays with themes in ways that only the Coen Brother's can. It had me laughing really hard at parts too. Just because of how perfectly it captures being high and all the bad shit that gets heaped on him is really funny, but once more, it feels right especially with their themes. Like I said, don't know if I would have nominated it (probably would have put Star Trek there instead). Also, Inglorious Basterds winning? It is a fun movie, but man, all my money goes to "Up in the Air" as the best picture last year. I think he got robbed all sorts of ways. I disagree with "Wild Things" should of getting a nomination. It was a great movie until it became monsters wining. It was dangerous, sad and fun but then it just became relationship problems and I didn't care. I would have thrown (500) Days of Summer in there.

I didn't mind Avatar winning best cinematography because it basically invented a new type of cinematography. However, I understand the outrage.

I also don't think Bridges really deserved it this year, but I like him a lot. Really wished it went to Clooney. However, I think Bridges makes what could have been a purely mediocre movie, a good movie and I love Bridges in everything he does.

Rob said...
This comment has been removed by the author.