Monday, January 28, 2008

My Oscar nomination and winner list- 2007 edition


Last week's news about the Oscar nominations was overshadowed by the untimely death of Heath Ledger, but they were released and as usual the powers that be messed up; not as badly as usual in some cases, but messed nonetheless. So, it is left up to me to fix it, since I do know all. So what follows will be the actual nominees and probable winner to be followed by my nominees and my winners.


Best Picture:
Actual nominees- No Country for Old Men, There Will be Blood, Michael Clayton, Juno, Atonement.

Probable Winner- No Country for Old Men.

My Nominees-No Country for Old Men, There Will be Blood, Michael Clayton, American Gangster, Charlie Wilson's War

My Winner- To be honest, I am kind of torn here. My heart wants to say Michael Clayton because I do love an underdog, but No Country for Old Men is really the best and most deserving picture. So I go with No Country for Old Men


Best Actor:
Actual Nominees- George Clooney(Michael Clayton), Daniel Day Lewis(There Will be Blood), Johnny Depp(Sweeney Todd), Tommy Lee Jones(In the Valley of Elah), Viggo Mortenson(Eastern Promises)

Probable Winner- Daniel Day Lewis.
My Nominees- Clooney, Lewis, Depp, Casey Affleck(Gone Baby Gone), Emile Hirsch(Into the Wild)

My Winner- I still believe George Clooney gave the most complete performance this year. He should win!

Best Actress: I have to claim ignorance to the actual nominees because I only saw 1 out of the 5.
Actual Nominees- Laura Linney(The Savages), Julie Christie(Away From her), Ellen Page(Juno), Cate Blanchett(Elizabeth: The Golden Age) Marion Cotillard( Mome, la)

Probable Winner- Julie Cristie. She is winning everything.

My Nominees- Page, Keri Russell(Waitress), Angelina Jolie(A Mighty Heart), Amy Adams(Enchanted), Keira Knightley(Atonement)

My Winner- Keri Russell. I thought she was perfect.

Best Supporting Actor:
Actual Nominees- Casey Affleck(Jesse James), Hal Holbrook(Into the Wild), Javier Bardem(No Country), Phillip Seymour Hoffman(Charlie Wilson's War), Tom Wilkinson(Michael Clayton)

Probable Winner- Javier Bardem. He is also winning everything.

My Nominees- Holbrook, Bardem, Hoffman, Tommy Lee Jones(No Country), Chiwetel Ejiofor(Talk to me)

My Winner- I am unable to choose between Hal Holbrook's absolutely heart breaking performance and Javier Bardem's truly chilling performance. It is too close for me to call.

Best Supporting Actress:
Actual Nominees- Amy Ryan(Gone Baby Gone), Cate Blanchett(I'm not There), Ruby Dee(American Gangster), Tilda Swinton(Michael Clayton), Saoirse Ronan(Atonement)

Probable Winner- It is going to go to either Cate Blanchett or Amy Ryan, but most likely Blanchett.

My Nominees- Ryan, Dee, Swinton, Jennifer Garner(Juno), Catherine Keener(Into The Wild)

My Winner- I know this is probably my most out there winner, but I believe Jennifer Garner actually deserves it. I would have said Amy Ryan until I saw Garner in Juno. She stole my heart in that movie. That being said, Amy Ryan could win and I would be happy as well.

Best Director:
Actual Nominees- Coen Brothers (No Country), Paul Thomas Anderson(There Will be Blood), Tony Gilroy(Michael Clayton), Jason Reitman(Juno), Julian Schnabel(The Diving Bell and the Butterfly)

Probable Winner- The Coen Brothers. It is their time.

My Nominees- Coen Brothers, Anderson, Gilroy, Ridley Scott(American Gangster), Sean Penn(Into the Wild)

My Winner- I have the same crisis here as I did with best picture. My heart wants Tony Gilroy, but The Coens actually deserve it more. No Country is a masterpiece.

I will not be doing the Screenplay categories, but I will say the fact that Knocked Up is not nominated in the best original screenplay category is just wrong.

No comments: