Monday, October 01, 2007

The 5 movies I am most anticipating for the rest of the year

Robbie asked me for it and he did it on his blog, so I figured I would do it here. It was a tough list to scale down to only five, but here are the five movies I am most looking forward to between now and the end of the year. However, some of these will probably not get to our area until the beginning of January.


5. Charlie Wilson's War- I am not afraid to admit I am an Aaron Sorkin whore. I love his writing and he has yet to fail me. It has been far too long since he wrote something for the big screen (not counting the script doctoring he has done. See The Rock as an example). Tom Hanks is usually solid and Julia Roberts should be fine in it, but it is mostly for Sorkin's script that I am excited about this project. It doe snot hurt that Phillip Seymour Hoffman is in it either. It is not being released until late December which means the studio believes strongly enough to have it open just in time for award season which makes me that much more excited. The movie is about a Texas business man's dealing in Afghanistan, which may not sound exciting but neither did a television show set in the white house and Sorkin turned The West Wing into one of the best shows ever for a few years.


4. Reservation Road- I don't have to wait much longer for this one, as it comes out in only a few weeks. But, I didn't even know it existed until about a week ago. The director of Hotel Rwanda directs this movie that stars Mark Ruffalo, Joaquin Phoenix, Jennifer Connelly and Mira Sorvino. It is about a guy who is on the search to find out who ran over and killed his son. Phoenix plays the grieving father and Ruffalo plays the man who killed his son. It looks like an explosive drama, oozing with tension. I have always thought Ruffalo deserved better than bad romantic comedies and here he is getting another shot to do something deep and dark. I am incredibly interested to see where the story goes and watching Phoenix and Ruffalo go back and forth makes me happy.


3. We own the Night- Mark Wahlberg and Joaquin Phoenix play brothers in this sure to be awesome crime thriller. Wahlberg is a cop and Phoenix runs a night club where drugs are being dealt. The trailer is bursting with cinematic energy and I always love to watch Wahlberg play the tough guy. Robert Duvall lends a nice elder statesman force and of course Eva Mendes strutting around in a movie is never a bad thing. But, this is not about eye candy, it is about what looks like a total kick ass movie. Wahlberg seems to be riding high off his Oscar nomination from last year and Phoenix looks like he is doing his best work to date in this and my last entry. It is sure to be a sexy, fun, action packed thriller. A perfect way to head into awards season!


American Gangster- Russell Crowe can be a very good actor. I am not always into him but when you pair him Denzel Washington, well DAMN! This movie looks incredible. I am interested in Ridely Scott's first foray into the world of the mob, or gangster lifestyle. Denzel playing a villain is always fun, as he kind of plays up the fun that can be had. A strong supporting cast featuring Roger Bart who seems to be acting his ass off in the trailer. I am not sure how close to the truth the story will be and the long time it took to get this project off the ground should scare me, but just watch the trailer and tell me this thing does not look amazing! Gangster movies are a dime a dozen sure, but when they well made very few things are cooler than them. Scott has always been a solid director and now he gets to try a different genre. I am worried that a studio will dumb it down, but I am still sure the movie is going to rock, hard.


1. No Country for old men- You cannot be a hardcore film fan if this movie is not towards the top of any anticipated list. After a few bad movies, the Coen brothers are going back to what they know best- dark comic tales of murder. They put together an incredibly strong cast- Tommy Lee Jones, Josh Brolin, Woody Harrelson and Javier Bardem- and they put together what looks like a brutal, stunning looking movie. The trailer promises some interesting deaths, some very dark humor and incredible dialogue. The Coen's have done their fair share of darkly comic tales but this one appears to be their darkest yet. Everyone film buff has been waiting for these guys to get back on track and I don't know anyone who is not dying to see the finished product.


I could have easily extended this to ten movies, although a few of the ones I would have included came out recently in one or two screens like Into the Wild and The Darjeeling Limited, but 5 seemed like a good number. I am also waiting with cautious optimism for Sweeney Todd and Lust, Caution, but again, I am still on the fence about whether I think they will be good. In the fun action or horror genres I am really excited for 30 days of night and I am legend as well. In the realm of family movies I think Fred Clause and Mr. Magorium's wonder emporium look good.

3 comments:

Rob said...

No lovin' for Beowulf?

Anyways, all of them look good, but I've lost interest after some of the things I've heard about "We Own The Night."

That and it is marketed as if it is "The Departed 2."

I saw that you had Lust, Caution in your almost section, and I almost put that one on my list also. Sadly though, I will not be able to see it in theaters.

And No Country for Old Men at number 1 - perfect choice.

Actress Andrea said...

Sweeney Todd should be interesting. I, like you, have no clue how it will pan out, but I'm excited nonetheless.

I'm also curiously excited about "Enchanted." Granted, I think it will be more of a comedic "chick flick," I'm interested to see how they've worked the parody of fairy tales and musicals. Plus, Idina Menzel is in it. Enough said. LOL

By the way, "American Gangster" is getting great Oscar buzz already...should be a great film!

Actress Andrea said...

Okay, did you SEE the trailer for Sweeney?? I got goosebumps...I think it will be FABULOUS!