Saturday, March 24, 2007

Borat

Usually when I have a serious reaction about not wanting to see a movie it is for good reason because when I end up seeing said movie, I hate it. Some prime examples are The Blair Witch Project, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Gangs of New York and Anchorman. All of those movies were movies I had no desire to see and when I finally gave in and watched, they confirmed my original opinion. People say you have to see a movie before you can judge it and anyone who knows me can document how against seeing this Borat movie I was. However, the amount of people telling me to watch it and telling me they thought I would enjoy it in a way forced me into renting it. So, I did and I watched it and I have to say my original opinion was not correct. This movie is actually worse than I thought it would be. Never before has a movie that is supposedly 90 minutes of rolling on the floor laughter filled me with such contempt for supposed comedy.


I am not sure what the point here is, critics say it is what America needs as a wake up call but what about this movie is particularly shocking? Should I be outraged that rodeo people show blind hateful ignorance to Muslims and gays? Should I be mortified that frat boys drink hard and are misogynistic morons? Please someone tell me!?!?!?! So people washing their face in the toilet is what passes for comedy? Really? Wait now I get it, nevermind. Yes it is funny as is a man holding supposed poop in a bag because he has never seen a toilet. HILARIOUS! It took some serious brains to put together this travesty of a film.


This is no difference between this nonsense and Tom Green in the mid to late nineties and what Johnny Knoxville and his band of idiotic miscreants are doing now. It requires no real skill or talent to wrestle with a very obese man. None what so ever, anyone could do that. People aren't willing to do that, but does that make it a skill? Does Evil Knievel really have a skill, or is he just nuts? It is the same thing here. I have a tremendous respect for Sasha Baron Cohen for managing to stay in character no matter what. It is obvious to tell he could be a skilled actor if he had the desire to be, but this is just one terrible bit and one terrible bit.


Stewart and Colbert are the names of hilarious political satire, those are the ones providing the wake up call, this piece of garbage is just helping to further the obnoxious stereotype that comedy is easy. It movies like this that spawn really bad home videos being uploaded onto youtube every day. Yes we get it, he makes out with a woman who turns out to be his sister, FUNNY!! Oh and she is a hooker, an award winning one at that, truly biting stuff. Really, I mean Tony Kushner must have helped write this movie. Thank you Sasha for raping me of 90 minutes of my life and thank you everyone who told me I would enjoy this film for getting me to watch it so I can finally know what I am talking about when I say this movie is truly truly a heinous act of crime committed against film.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't disgree with your review more but I enjoyed reading it.

I wanted you to see the movie but I didn't think you would like it.

Can you believe that I actually commented??!!

Kyle Hadley said...

I can't believe you actually read it, let alone commented!

I want to understand where anyone finds humor in this thing? I laughed at the beginning during the run fo the Jew and at the end when he tried to kidnap Pamela Anderson, but other than that, where was the funny? I guess maybe the knee jerk reaction to the "shock" is supposed to laughter, maybe that is where the comedy is, but I didn't see it.