Thursday, December 21, 2006

Happy Feet (possible spoilers.

While many were annoyed at the obvious liberal political platform shown in this movie, I have to say that I was not bothered by it at all. In fact, I loved this movie more than I have enjoyed an animated feature in years. For those of you who don’t know, Happy Feet is a movie about a penguin who tap dances. That in itself is nothing exciting except in this fictional world of penguinism, penguins sing not dance. So when mumbles, our tap dancer, is unable to sing he is looked down upon and leaves his father shamed. This first reoccurring theme of conformity is probably overlooked do to the later leftist agenda, but I feel that this is what the movie is about at its core. The movie is about finding a place for oneself and proving that happiness lies in individuality. There are also a few not so vague shots at organized religion running rampant within the movie


Voice wise, this movie seems to be perfect. Elijah Wood captures an innocence and spirit needed and Robin Williams, doing his multi voiced character thing is spot on as one of a group of shorter, renegade penguins. With their help Mumbles finds his “voice” sort to speak and helps shape penguin culture. The star to me though is Hugh Jackman. He voices Mumbles’ father with a faux cheesy Elvis style voice and it is amazing. Also, his vocals are spectacular which leads me to want him back on Broadway, just in a good show this time! Nicole Kidman is the supportive caring mother and Brittney Murphy rounds out the leads as Mumbles’ would be girlfriend, the sexiest most talented penguin in the tribe. Also, the animation is flawless which isn’t a surprise because most animated movies these days look flawless.


I have to admit I was a bit shocked by how scary and mean the movie was at times. I mean I know every animated film has conflict but this seemed like a more realistic conflict because it was a man made conflict. While, I am not what you would consider an “animal lover” it was hard to watch as a penguin nearly suffocated because he got one of those plastic 6 pack holders around his throat. This movie did not back down from showing the dangers involved in mass pollution and mass fishing. I guess that is why those geniuses over at Fox News were calling the movie pure propaganda. Good to know people have nothing better to do than pick apart a kids movie. I mean God forbid we teach children about the dangers of littering!! Oh no! The movie does take a bit of a bizarre turn that reminds you that you are watching a kids movie but it doesn’t take away from the enjoyment. This movie has everything you need in an animated feature-singing, dancing, crazy animation and an interesting story.

No comments: