Tuesday, December 26, 2006

The Break up

Having decidedly taken myself out of the "know" of our famous people's lives, I could watch this movie without the stench of "overhype" over Vinnifer of Jence or whatever inane mash up name our celebrity stalker gave this oh so important couple of the moment and I have to say it probably helped. See the movie is basically the Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vaughn show. Yes, there are a few supporting characters in the forms of a very bloated Jon Favreau, the under used Joey Lauren Adams and the badly wigged Justin long but they are all fairly unnecessary in this film. That is not to say that I didn't like it because in all honesty I loved it.


I have always routed for Jennifer Aniston to succeed, some would say I hope that because of how unbelievably beautiful she is, but it stems from watching her in a movie called "Leprechaun" and thinking "ah poor girl, she is never going anywhere." I am glad she has proved me wrong and in this movie she seems to play into her niche. She gets to look amazing, cry over a boy, scream and throw stuff, oh and she gets to be naked, well sort of. With regards to Vince Vaughn, I have always been a fan of funny Vince. I tried to go with him to the dark side in movies like Psycho and Domestic Disturbance, but he is just better when he is playing a version of his Swingers character and again this movie plays well into his wheel house while showing he actually can act. The plot involves a couple who has been together for two years and own a condo together, but realize they are over as a couple and deals with the complications after a break up. It is pretty basic, yes but that is almost what makes it such a great movie.


Vaughn and Aniston share a hilarious opening scene which shows them meeting for the first time, then the opening credits take us through the two year relationship and then we open with yet another hilarious scene involving Aniston's character's brother trying to get a table of people to make noises like musical instruments. However, as far as comedy that's about all we get. This movie is sad, I mean really sad. That is also the beauty of it because the sadness always feels real. Granted, I can't say much because I have never been in that situation but every conversation between the now ex-couple felt like a real argument and every emotion felt real. The movie is also incredibly awkward as the two characters attempt to 1. play nice in public and 2. Attempt to make each other jealous. There are a few funny moments within the awkwardness but this movie is not really played for laughs, it is played for sympathy for both of these characters and in the end we do feel bad for them, just for different reasons. Also, movies like this have a habit of happy, tied up ina pretty little bow endings, but this one takes a different variation on tat ending and it was much appreciated by me!

No comments: