Friday, May 29, 2009

Aaron Sorkin's 10 best monologues

As many people who read this blog know (Okay, the five people who read this blog), I am a sucker for Aaron Sorkin's scripts. I have loved all three shows and his four movies. Beyond the great patter and whip smart dialog, the man has created some amazing monologues. These are not in any particular order except I do mention which one is my absolulte favorite.

This is the opening scene of the too short lived Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. I could not find just the monologue, so you have to go in a few minutes to find it. It is kind of easy to love because it is an anti-reality show rant, but it is still very well written and delivered perfectly.



The end of season 2 of The West Wing. I have no idea what is being said when he goes into Latin, but you know exactly what he means.


This is my absolute favorite one. I love it because it was not written for a main character and because it is amazingly written. Plus, I agree with the sentiment.


An American President is a wonderful movie and this is one of the great cinema monologues.


If you are talking Aaron Sorkin you have to include this classic line and this classic monologue. Nicholson delivers this with the kind of eneergy and emotion that he is known for, but Sorkin's words are what make this. I love the rhythm of the writing.


Spoots Night is a show I wish more people knew and maybe this will convince people. The show used sports to examine life, but mostly it was about these amazing people.


Before Alec Baldwin is a supporting comic actor he was kind of a bad ass and this is him at one of his most bad ass. Plus it gives us the great line "I am God."


I cannot watch this without tearing up. It helps if you understand the character of Toby, but it is the most touching moment I have seen in 7 seasons of The West Wing.


Sorkin loves setting scenes around the poker table and this scene perfectly combines the comic and the dramatic. The monologue is not very long, but it is exactly what it is supposed to be.


This is too easy of a monologue, but I still love. It is for all my gays.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome list! And we're trying really hard to get him to come to Stanford next year. If he does, there's a VIP ticket with your name on it!

Taylor