Tuesday, September 16, 2008

4 mini reviews- Traitor, Hamlet 2, Babylon, Bangkok

I took a kind of break from the reviews to get everything in order for the new semester and I think too much time has passed to get in to full reviews of 4 movies I saw a few weeks ago, so instead I will do mini reviews of them.

Traitor- I really enjoyed the movie, even though I kind of had an idea as to what was going on. The trailer kind of blew the movie a bit, but the performances from Don Cheadle and Guy Pierce made it worthwhile. There is a ton of discussion about religion and fanaticism that is interesting, if not entirely original. It is really a thinking man's action/thriller. It is similar to the Bourne franchise in that aspect, but never reaches the intense heights of that franchise.

Hamlet 2- I think your love of this movie kind of hinges on whether you like the lead, Steve Coogan, or not. I admire his lack of vanity and his willingness to go balls out (Literally!) for the role. He has a Will Ferrell like quality in that way. Of course, we know I loathe Will Ferrell. I did not loathe this movie, but I was expecting more. I was expecting to be shocked in the way The South Park movie shocked (same writer). I was not shocked by the good white girl wanting a little taste of Mexican boy, or the endless flow of gay jokes. There are some very funny moments and the actual play they put on is quite hilarious. Also, "Rock me Sexy Jesus" is not the sacrilegious song it is cracked up to be. It is actually praising his clean morals as being hip or cool.

Babylon A.D- Here is a Vin Diesel movie that could have been very good, if the studio did not butcher it. Because the studio wanted a PG-13 action they cut this movie to shreds. As a result, the movie doesn't make a lick of sense. Things happen all to quickly and we are left without a clear explanation as to why. I enjoyed aspects, like the futuristic maps and the overall look and feel of the movie. Plus, there is a pretty bad ass shoot out towards the end, but I, along with everyone else, was left with a desire to see more, or to understand exactly what happened. The plot involves a religion trying to become the dominate religion, but it is all lost and just comes off looking unfinished.

Bangkok Dangerous- Another possible entry in the worst movies of the year list, here. I fell asleep for about 15 minutes but woke up having not missed anything. Everything about this movie is awful- the dialog, acting, direction, sound, set and everything else. I was actually happy for the moments with the deaf girl because it was a nice break from listening to dialog. Not even the all too brief action sequences make this piece of crap watchable.

No comments: