Sunday, April 27, 2008

Pre Summer movie bash!

Summer is here in less than a week for movie season!! Here are a few lists and thoughts about the upcoming summer season!

10 movies I am dying to see:

10. Speed Racer- I am not sure if this movie will be visually appealing or visually repulsive, but I know my eyes will be stimulated. The movie is essentially an animated movie shot totally in deep focus which is nuts and it promises to be a thrilling ride. The run time worries as it is over 2hrs long, but that can be forgiven if it is paced and edited well. I am not sure if I really see a franchise for it, but I know it will be the most visual movie I see all summer.

9. Get Smart- I remember the first teaser trailer I saw for this: I freaking loved it. The full trailer, out now, is very funny and action packed. Carrell looks in his element and I am always down for The Rock being funny. It looks sort of like Hot Fuzz from last summer where it will be hilarious and satirical but still pack some serious punches. I like the cast, including some of the bit players and I think this will be nice escapist entertainment.

8. Wanted- I think this is a sleeper pick for summer. I am sure it is nothing like the Graphic Novel on which it is based, but I am totally hooked. Every trailer or TV spot I see emphasizes the action and the sex appeal of Angelina Jolie which are both pluses. While Jolie's action resume is not excellent, she does have fun doing them and typically they are entertaining. It looks Matrix like, which could be a very good thing. Summer is a perfect place for a movie like this. I am not expecting anything super inventive, but I just want to see some kick ass action.

7. Hellboy: The Golden Army- My anticipation for this movie has risen in recent weeks with the new full length trailer available now. Also, I read a great article about it and how deep the mythology will be and just how much Pan's Labyrinth like fantasy will be involved. I really enjoyed the first one and the director promised he will not sell it out because it is a big summer movie. I believe him because he has not let me down yet. This is a fun franchise that is hopefully not on its last legs.

6. Wall*E- In recent years I have kind of wavered in my love for Pixar, but I am not wavering one bit on this adorable robot! From the first little teaser I was in love with this cute, clumsy, lonely curious little robot and I am dying to go on this adventure with him. I know almost nothing about it except Pixar churns out hits every time. Visually the computer images get more and more life like and this story just seems interesting to me. I have not been this excited for a pixar movie since Toy Story two.

5. Hancock- Until a week ago this movie was further down on this top 10 list. Then I saw the first look trailer and my mind totally changed. Holy crap I am stoked for this movie. It looks funny, action packed, awkward, biting and dramatic. Will Smith has certainly found a nice change of pace to the likable guys he typically plays. The story about a Superhero who winds up willingly going to Prison to clean up his image is very interesting and while it is not based on a comic book, it certainly has a comic book feel to it.

4. Ironman- I only have to wait a few more days before this one becomes a reality! Robert Downey Jr. looks like the most perfect Tony Stark I could have ever imagined and the action just looks better and better every time I see something about the movie. I have always enjoyed the Ironman character and the stories and I am curious as to if the director can get it right since he is not known for big budget movies. Ironman looks like an enjoyable 2 hours full of things getting blown up and funny one-liners. It looks like the perfect beginning of summer movie.

3. Pineapple Express- A pot movie in my top 3? It doesn't seem right does it? Well, it is right; it is so right. I am dying to watch this movie as it has the best trailer thus far this year. It comes from Camp Apatow and I am curious to see these guys do something with a story and action. I cannot wait to see James Franco as a dumb pot head and this just looks like the most epic weed movie, ever.

2. Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull- I grew up on Indiana Jones. I think Raiders of the Lost Ark is my mom's favorite movie, or at least up there. Spielberg is the greatest movie director ever, in my opinion and I am very interested in how this series rebooting goes. Add Shia to the mix and this is just golden. I love the idea of Kate Blanchett as a villain and I want to know if this is really about aliens, because that would be beyond awesome. The trailer features sick ass whip stunts and Harrison Ford's typical gruff one liners and this looks like it could be a movie for the ages.

1. The Dark Knight- This probably does not come as a surprise to anyone that a comic book movie would be number 1 on this list. While Batman is not even in my top 5 of favorite superheroes, Chris Nolan's vision of Gotham City and the Batman world is so amazing I am completely entranced by this movie. Heath Ledger looks to blow Jack Nicholson's overrated Joker performance out of the water with craziness and Aaron Eckhart is the absolute perfect Harvey Dent. Put them with the returning Christian Bale and, wow. Geez, I can barely even put into words how excited I am for this movie. The new poster might be the best movie poster I have seen in ages and it only heightens my anticipation.


5 Movies I don't really want to see but probably will anyway:

5. Sex and the City- At first, they decided to make this PG-13, but I think they changed it back to R, which is good for the fans. This doesn't really do anything for me, but having seen enough episodes to know the characters, I am interested somewhat.

4. Tropic Thunder- Ben Stiller and Jack Black on screen together spells trouble for me, but there might be enough in it to warrant me actually seeing. It is too bad the Tom Cruise cameo got spoiled

3. Don't mess with the Zohan- I keep meaning to give up on Sandler, but he is a summer staple and every so often he still entertains, plus Apatow has a writing credit on it, so it can't be too bad, right?

2. Kung Fu Panda- To be honest, I will probably only see this because my dad will want someone to go with him. I hate Jack Black and this doesn't seem funny, but who knows.

1. What happens in Vegas- The only real reason I will see this is because we are getting it and I can see it for free. Mike tells me it is funny, but it doesn't look like it, really.

The 1 Movie I can guarantee I will not be seeing this summer:

Step Brothers: Will Ferrell and John C. Riley as adults sharing a room as they become step brothers. Enough freaking said. SHOOT ME!

Random Thoughts:

The Happening might be rated R. Wow, that piques my interest, a lot.

Will anyone care about Mulder and Skully this time around?

The Mummy 3. Really? Why?

Will Mama Mia mark the end of fun summer movie musicals? It looks awful!

Can the team behind Legally Blonde strike gold again with House Bunny, or is Anna Farris just not Reese Witherspoon?

Isn't the Love Guru just a re-hash of Austin Powers jokes?

Finally, some under the radar-Indie movies I am excited about:

Redbelt, Son of Ranbow, Midnight Meat train, The Strangers, Hell Ride, Towelhead and Hamlet 2.

No comments: