Monday, July 09, 2007

T.I's "T.I vs. T.I.P" album review

I have never been a fan of T.I because well, it takes a lot for a southern rapper to catch my ear and save for 2 or 3 singles he just hasn't seemed worthy of my time or effort. When I found out this album was being billed as a concept album I was excited. I love concept albums whether they bomb (Diary of Kirk Jones) or turn out to be amazing (Disposable Arts). It turns out though that this album is not a concept album, really. I think of concept album in terms of telling one complete story, like The Who's Tommy. This album is basically cut into 3 parts- part 1 is T.I.P, part 2 is T.I and part 3 is them fighting each other essentially. The problem persists though that T.I does not create specific voices for his 2 personalities. Yes, T.I.P is supposed to be the more street or more wild and arrogant, but his T.I persona spits the same cocky lyrics as T.I.P so it fails in that aspect. So as a cohesive album it doesn't do what it is supposed to do, but is it a good album, well we shall see.


Act 1- This is supposed to introduce us to the wild T.I.P and it works as an album opening because it is a beat that wets the appetite of any listener because it is ripe for an emcee to tear up. T.I rocks it pretty well over the track and I feel like maybe this was a good purchase. His swagger is ever present and his flow works perfectly here. 3.5/5


Big Shit poppin- The lead single off the album with the big catchy hook and T.I.P proclaiming he has taken over T.I. The song is your typical braggadocios type track and it reminds me that rap is the only genre where they spend time talking about how their last album did. Not a bad song, but after 2 straight tracks of that cocky swagger I fear the rest of the album is just the same. 3.5/5


Raw- The first bad track so far. The beat is lazy and T.I follows suit with a lazy flow. Actually it is the same flow as he always uses, just doesn't have any energy behind it. More of the same "I'm rich and good and you aren't me" stuff and I begin to doubt everyone who tells me T.I is good. 1/5


You know what it is- This beat is funky enough to make up for Wyclef's obnoxious accent and the hook is another catchy hook. The beat is kind of an upbeat, stringy track and it makes T.I lighten up on his drawl just enough that you can actually understand what he is saying, but sadly the lyrics are still like this "I had the album of the year, Grammy or not." So far we are four songs in and one topic in. Not a good ratio! 3.5/5


Da Dopeman- Finally something different for the listeners, but in the concept of the T.I.P section it doesn't work, because it is an anti-drug dealing song and that works for T.I not T.I.P. The beat is haunting at first and then it gets bigger, in typical Atlanta rap fashion. I don't think the bigness of the beat really fits the subject of the song, but I like the verse progression. First verse is the beginning of drug dealing, second verse talks about how good it is and then the third verse tells the downfall of drugs dealing. 3.5/5


Watch what you say to me- Jay-z and T.I on the same track? It is going to be an all out swagger fest as the two with the most swagger on the mic team up. The track is about the haters and the beat rides nicely. Jay's verse may not be lyrically his best, but he is all over the track melding his flow with the baseline like they were birthed at the same time. 4/5


Hurt- This sounds like it is the most average track and beat ever, but when the beat gets going it proves to be perfect for the track. It is all over the place and proves to be about the only time T.I really gets up for the beat, but Busta Rhymes steals this track, as he has a habit of doing. While it is your typical gangster posturing, the way Busta's flow runs amok all over the track makes me remember just how dope he can be. 4/5


Act 2- T.I is taking over but it just doesn't make sense at all. The beat is the same as the opening and he is talking to someone over the phone, but I don't know who and it seems pointless. 1/5


Help is coming- When Is aw Just Blaze was producing this track I was excited, until the beat started and gone are the loud horn breaks, replaced by some cheesy organ type sound. The song is about T.I coming to save hip-hop which is laughable because because the only thing he is doing is bragging about how he sold more than anyone else last year. Something he has been doing all album long. 2/5


My swag- Now this should have been the lead single really. The hook is infectious and I hum it for an hour after I listen to it. The beat, while is has a corny 80's synth sound actually works with T.I low mumble and it is a good contrast to Wyclef's wannabe singing. The song is about his swagger and it works here because that is the topic of the actual song. I am not sure why I like this but I think it is my favorite song on the album. 5/5


We do this- Another bouncy beat and bouncy flow from T.I but at this point I am just tired of listening to him talk about how much stuff he can buy and how cool he is. His swagger just doesn't impress me at this point because it seems obvious it is all he has. 2/5, but the beat gets a 4/5


Show it to me- This starts off as a very slow piano beat but then quickly turns into a horn heavy stripper like anthem. Nelly shows up on the help out spitting possibly his best verse ever. Granted Nelly isn't a lyrical genius but considering he has been making crappy ballad like songs the last few years it is nice to hear him let loose on sexing up a girl. T.I does alright here as well and I am sure this will be the second or third single off the album. Nothing new or special here except Nelly's delivery is actually nice here. 3.5/5


Don't you wanna be high- Is this a weed anthem or an airplane song? Well it is both but the beat is lazy like a weed anthem and I was over this song very early. Pure filler track. 0/5


Touchdown- Eminem's production is always very spotty and here it works for me, but I understand if it doesn't work for everyone else. I do wish Eminem would stop rapping with this faux southern drawl. If Eminem would take things seriously he could get his mojo back but instead he sleeps his way through his verse, even if it is a funny take on the typical "car anthem." T.I rips his last verse and both ride over the beat nicely. In fact, Eminem seems to be more focused on riding beats these days because he usually does it well. T.I kills me with this line "So excuse me Oprah honey I'm sorry and I promise but niggas, bitches and hoes do exist."3/5


Act 3- like act two it isn't really worth reviewing


Tell em I said that- I am 100% positive this beat was jacked from Christina Aguilera's "Genie in a bottle." That being said, yes the song is really that corny. T.I tries his best to come hard on it and the producer tries his hardest to hide the corny melody by throwing all kinds of random ass stupid sounds on it. This is a song about how hard and true he is when every other rapper is a fake. 1/5


Respect the Hustle- Wow, this is about as bad as a song can be. The hook is spelled out in a way that would make Fergie jealous. T.I and T.I.P are both on this track but I dare you to tell where one ends and the other one starts. Yes, T.I/T.I.P are rapping about respecting their grind. big freaking deal. That is what the rest of the album is supposed to be doing anyway. 1/5


My type- After 16 tracks of ballin', T.I finally lets his guard down for a brief moment and he ruins it by talking over the track, with his cockiness, talking about how you'll never forget him because of how hot he is. The verses aren't half bad and his swagger is almost fully contained and he nearly sounds genuine, but it is too little too late here. 3/5


This could have been a good album, I think. If he lost the gimmick and trimmed the track listing down he could have had an album with pretty good replay value. As it is though, it is album with too many tracks I have to skip to be a good summer, riding in my car album and it becomes the first bad album I have actually spent money on in quite some time.

No comments: