Saturday, October 28, 2006

The Grudge 2

Ok, so I can't give this movie a full review because I walked out at the 45 minute mark, which means I missed half of the movie. However, I think my walking out speaks volumes. Now, I love horror movies, I love the good ones and I love the bad ones. This movie, though, was beyond bad. To me, what makes a horror movie is not the jumps or scares because let us face it, most of us will jump when something goes from complete silence to very loud in a split second. What makes a scary movie good is what happens inbetween the scares. Does the movie give an overall creepy edge of your seat mood throughout? That is what makes the difference and in the first Grudge movie, I felt they captured that creepy ambiance completely, which had me stoked for this second film.


I can't give you much of a plot because what I saw was pretty incoherent. I do know that their are 3 separate stories and one of them seem to connect in any way shape or form. One story follows Jennifer Beals (no longer in leg warmers), another follows 3 teenage girls as they deal with the consequences that follow from going into the cursed house from the first movie and the third story follows a horrible actress and a horrible actor as they try to solve the question of what happened to Sarah Michelle Gellar. Now, Sarah reprises her role from the first film in the only worthwhile scene in the movie, which goes to show that the kind of acting one does has a serious affect on what the overall movie looks like.


There are no legitimate scares, some seriously bad acting, even worse writing and this movie has to set a record for amount of times it copied from its first film. Nothing in this sequel even hints at originality or creativity. The fact that I stayed even 45 minutes actually kind of amazed me because this film is truly that terrible!

No comments: